What is this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like pennywort.

from UF/IFAS Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants | Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants
hydran.jpg

Looks like a variation of pennywort to me

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks that what I was thinking but the leaves were a little different so I wasn't sure.

It's a different species, not sure how well it lives fully submerged. It's very common in the ditches around here. The most common pennywort species in the trade is brazilian pennywort.

My mistake, though I've seen Japan grow nearly that big.

It's most likely Marsilea. There are 5 species at least, most if not all invasive in some places. Far as I know, all are marginal and don't grow well submerged for any length of time. It has black rhizomes, unlike pennywort.

Not that common in stores, I sometimes see M. minuta, a tiny leafed form that grows only a couple of inches tall and is supposed to be a carpet plant, but I've never seen it grow well that way. Or quadrifolia, which can get about 6-8 inches high and won't grow submerged for very long at all. Happiest in water a few inches deep. It's a European import.

It does resemble Hydrocotyle tripartite Japan, which is a variant of one of the dwarf species of Hydrocotyle.

Marsilea is a clover plant with extremely thin stems in emersed culture. I've had the same experience with quadrifolia. The dwarf varieties can eventually form a carpet but it takes forever.

I was planning to try growing quadrifolia when I get some over the tank 'aquaponic' troughs set up. The depth would be about right for them. They're attractive when they're healthy.

Back
Top Bottom