What is this plant ? And what do you guys think of my new 55g..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought this 55g a week ago on craigslist for $125.. came with lights, stand, tank, 300w heater and a penguin 350 biowheel.. :) No scratchs either looks brand new..

I just finished planting it yesterday and I was wondering what you guys think ? I replaced the 2 single 18 inch T8 bulbs (it has 2 lamps 1 bulb on each side) with a 48 inch duel t5 light from aqueon... I have the same light on my 36 inch long 30g and the plants love the light.

So far I have

Moneywart on the front right
Amazon swords in the back middle of the tank.
Red Nesaea front middle//right
Very beautiful and large wisteria in the very back right corner
Cabomba Furcata in the left back corner altho its green now was like that in the store supposedly it turns red. Still looks nice though
Purple waffle in the front left of the tank.
Some smaller Wisteria and java fern in the front middle

I have no idea what this plant is though.. Its next to the Wistera on the left/middle in the picture (almost looks like it too). How do I "cut" this plant so I can put it in my other tanks too ? I am unfamiliar with how to spread plants across tanks..

img_2641450_0_5560b0b5abf45e563c98499fbb227399.jpg

img_2641450_1_286a789b65964ea138e8e44ac52e1d6c.jpg

img_2641450_2_ff6878e25fac55f9bfde6c04c6660342.jpg

img_2641450_3_49779d8fa990661b0cea8a831ad3f768.jpg

Your massive bush is actually water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides). The plant in the far right corner and again front and center is actual water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis). Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
It does thank you.. How do you trim water sprite ? Can I cut stems off the middle of it and plant it in another tank and it will grow ? I guess what im asking is how do I propagate this plant.. I want to put some in my 30 long gallon and my 27g hex

You cut it like you can any other stem plant: take scissors to it between two nodes. The bottom half will grow 2 new tops, and the top half will grow roots once you stick it into the substrate.

What do you thin of the way I planted the tank though ? Any advice on making it look better ? Maybe tie some moss on the driftwood.. I dunno.. Or do you think its pretty well stocked with plants ?

How about some anubias attached to the driftwood and some crypts of various sorts in the front? Keep in mind your swords will get huge so that will fill in your tank a lot. Do you use fertilizers?

I do yes but the tank is cycling still.. I actually just got into the nitrite phase after about the 5th-6th day now.. nitrites are .50-1.0 and my nitrates are going up now..

I use fertz though I add'd what I have been adding to my other 2 tanks liquid co2 and seachem flourish and leafe zone from api.. and since this tank doesn't have a undergravel filter im using root tabs too. The problem with these swords though is I had them in my 30g tank for like a month and they didn't grow at all.. They are the same size as when I got them... The other plants are growing fine in the tank the swords were in.. my red nesaea and the larger like 16 inch sword has like 20 stems on them... These smaller ones aren't getting any bigger thought... How long does it usually take for swords to grow anyway.. because if I trim the larger sword I have itll grow new leaves every night like 3-4 inches..

looks good.. i really like the driftwood in the center (y)

Thanks, you cant see it but the driftwood is curved slightly on ther bottom so there is actually a 2-3 inch hollow bottom from the rocks so the whole length of the driftwood fish can hide under it... Plus its nearly as long as the tank.. if I move the coral out of the way youd see it goes almost to the other side.. Was expensive $60 for that piece of wood

Back
Top Bottom