What is This Stuff??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpha

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 25 Gallon Tall tank that is planted with Water Wysteria, Aponogeton, Water Onions, and Amazonian Swords. At first, I was having trouble with algae, but careful pruning and my Otto cat took care of the first outbreak. :)

However, I noticed brown slimy algae looking junk all in my filters. I'm running 2 HoB filters one is for 10-20 gal and the other is for 30-40 gal. I replaced the 10-20 gallon filter b/c of the sheer amount of this brown material. I also rinsed the 30-40 gallon HoB filter with water siphoned out of the tank. Things are looking up, but still there is material growing on the waterfall part of the filters, sometimes causing gaps in the flow. Instead of a full wide waterfall sometimes it will bend in towards the middle if that makes sense.

Lately, after adding Co2, my Wysteria skyrocketed all the way to the top of the tank, the growth has been outrageous. On the tips of said Wysteria plant, they appear to be turning orangish.. At first I chalked it off as too much light from my CoraLife lamp because it is literally 2 inches or so from it.. but now, it seems this orangish stuff is turning black on some of the leaves so I fear it may be the dreaded algae again. :(

I can post pictures if needed (I think it'll show up on my phone camera) to diagnose the best approach. I really would like to rid myself of this gunk because every time I seem to get it out of the tank itself, I find myself checking on the filters, which disturbs it and releases pure unadulterated amounts of brown gunk. How in the world do I get rid of this? :confused:

Help would be much appreciated :banghead:

edit: I've been holding off on adding anymore Co2 for fear that I was burning the wysteria because the Co2 liquidated my dwarf hairgrass that once inhabited the area around that rock. However, my LFS owner suggested to keep up adding Co2 daily so the plants would grow and require more nutrients than the algae thus killing it. As good of an idea as that seems, this is liquid Co2... So i'm not sure if it's the same concept. Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

• 2013-01-23 08.12.12.jpg
    2013-01-23 08.12.12.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 2013-01-23 08.10.49.jpg
    2013-01-23 08.10.49.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 89
Liquid co2 isn't co2. It's a carbon supplement that is inferior to co2, it still much better than nothing. That being said, it wouldn't melt hairgrass, so that's probably something else, and it won't even slow down wisteria, quite the opposite really. It's a safe bet that the liquid carbon isn't causing what you're seeing,

Honestly, it looks like a case of diatoms. Is this a pretty new tank, ie, less than 3-4 months old?

Should I stop using the liquid Co2?
And yes, the tank will be exactly four months old in 6 days. Thanks for the reply!

Should I stop using the liquid Co2
I'm assuming Flourish Excel? Quoted from the Seachem site FAQ's on Excel, "Flourish Excel is not carbon dioxide..."

Q: Is Flourish Excel a replacement for CO2 in a planted aquarium?

A: Yes and no. It provides the same benefit as CO2, i.e. it provides the plants with a source of carbon for growth just as CO2 provides them with carbon. However CO2 by itself will give you quantitatively more growth than Excel by itself, although Excel does provide a substantial amount in comparison. If CO2 is a 10, Excel is a 6-7. Using both together provides additional benefit. One of the advantages of the Excel is no up front equipment costs and complexity of valves, hoses and regulators, etc.

Source: Seachem. Flourish Excel FAQ

I have this issue in my tank too it's ruining my filters and I can never get it all off!!

Back
Top Bottom