What is wrong with my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gruzek

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone tell me what is wrong with my plants? Is it some kind of the rot or just potassium deficiency? :roll:
Let me see if I can add my pic.

Attachments

• rosli_02.jpg
    rosli_02.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 127
Looks like potassium and maybe magnesium. Are you dosing?

It`s a 60 gallon tank. WPG is about 3.5.
CO2 level is 19 ppm.
I use Chuck`s calculator to dose nutrients.
K2SO4 - once a week 20ppm
Plantex+B+Fe twice a week 1.5ml ( 1 TBS in .250ml of destilled water )
I checked nitrate level - 13 - 15 mg/l
PH - 7.0
no clue about magnesium

GH is 5.
All those clear spots I see only on heavy root feeders. Two leaves in my pic is anubia and red sword. I got`em from my friend where they were doing great. For 10 days after I planted`em in my tank everything was OK. Just for the last 4-5 days I started noticing clear spots and tiny holes especially in anubia. I make my own root tabs (PMDD + clay) and I put one or two close the roots.
I`m really confused - have no clue what is wrong.

I'd agrees with the lack of K and mg. YOur Co2 is low also. Try to get it up to 30ppm. This will in the least keep algae at bay while your plants recover. I would also remove those leaves.

Because of the appearing pinholes and since it are older leaves I would still say it's a potassium deficiency.

@simpte: if the whole plant looks like that, what do you want to remove - the whole plant? And why except for looks would you want to remove it? It's not a disease.

OK. What do you suggest, guys? Anubias and red swords are root feeders.
Should I put more root tabs near roots or increase K in the water column?

IMO, you shouldn't change anything. As you say, it's only the heavy root feeders that are suffering. These guys may only be showing a delayed response to being moved. I say prune back the badly damaged leaves and give them a couple more weeks to re-establish their root systems. From what I gather you've got gravel substrate? If so, give them a chance to get their root system over to your "pockets" of gravel heavily fertilised by your root tabs.

I like Hoovercat's suggestion though anubias is not not dependent on roots to get nutrients. With your light dosing more K, CO2, and MgSO4 dosing will not break anything, assuming large PWC so nothing runs away. You can do this one step at a time for a couple weeks if you prefer a more scientific method. I agree with Simpte: remove those leaves so the plant puts its energy toward new growth instead of repairing sick leaves.

HTH

OK, guys. Thanks for your help. I`ll let you know what is going on. I`m not gonna do much but just wait - we`ll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom