What kind of algae is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fresh2o

Aquarium Advice Addict
For the last few months I have been dealing with this growth. It is green, flat, slime like. The texture is smooth to velvet. Occasional "hairs" similar to BBA. It spreads in a film like manner, often coating the surfaces of plant leaves. On the cabomba it gives a "webbed hand" look.

I tried Excel on it but I was too impatient to see how effective it was. I found that it is easily removed during water changes. Any strong burst of water (or the suction of a siphon hose) will dislodge it completely from whatever it is clinging to.

Other than physical removal, how can I prevent its recurrence? Is it an indicator of an imbalance of lights, ferts, and CO2?

Details:
The tank is a 20g long. Established 1+ year. Weekly dose of Seachem Flourish Comp, daily Excel, monthly root tabs. DIY CO2. Lighting is a Finnex FugeRay 7-8 hours per day. Moderately planted. Stock is 7 danios + 4 gold tetras, 1 Amano shrimp, and X number of MTS. Water changes weekly ~40-50%. Filtration is two AC50s. Params: Ammonia & Nitrite: 0; Nitrate: 10.

Pics: (I used an image merge app so I hope it turns out okay)
CGnaFTP.jpg

Cyanobacteria. I would go to petsmart and get some Erythromycin or Maracyn and zap that! Haha

Cyanobacteria. I would go to petsmart and get some Erythromycin or Maracyn and zap that! Haha

I was thinking that but going through denial. For some reason I thought Cyanobacteria was something other than green.

I am guessing that Erythromycin or Maracyn will not affect the BB?

I was thinking that but going through denial. For some reason I thought Cyanobacteria was something other than green. I am guessing that Erythromycin or Maracyn will not affect the BB?
I used EM above the recommended dose and my bio filter was perfectly fine

Thanks! Generally how long would one dose the tank? After treatment, any chance of recurrence?

I did a week long treatment just to make sure I got it good. Try to remove as much as you can before treatment because dying Cyano can cause spikes. It seems when people use EM, it generally stays away for good.

I'm having a hard time seeing it but cyanobacteria can be green, blue, or red so it's a likely possibility

I'm seeing Cyano in some pic's but I'm also seeing some other type of algae. Cyano is flat, coating, and shiny. I'm seeing hairy on some plants as well.

Cyano is often found in tanks with a nitrate reading of less than 10ppm, from excess nutrients especially when not enough WC's are done, and several other reasons. The other algae could be from lighting left on too long, in imbalance between CO2/lights/and ferts among other things. After treating for the cyano, I would do a large 60% WC or larger, wait a few days, then treat the hairy algae with 1-3ml of hydrogen peroxide 3% to every 1 gallon of tank water. Turn off filters, slowly squirt algae with peroxide, leave filters off for 20 minutes. Also only run lights 6 hours daily until you get all the algae problems resolved.

I went to Petco and could not find erythromycin or Maracyn but I did find Maracyn Oxy. Will this work on the Cyanobacteria? Anything I should know about this product (e.g. - BB safe)?
MCVRBZu.jpg

I went to Petco and could not find erythromycin or Maracyn but I did find Maracyn Oxy. Will this work on the Cyanobacteria? Anything I should know about this product (e.g. - BB safe)?

That stuff doesn't work. I've tried it. I know they have maracyn and EM at Petsmart

Any brand of Erythromycin will work so if you can't get Maracyn you can get any brand of Erythro.

Try to get a little more surface agitation so more oxygen can enter the water. Then try to turn up co2 levels VERY slowly and monitor fish activity.

Try to get a little more surface agitation so more oxygen can enter the water. Then try to turn up co2 levels VERY slowly and monitor fish activity.

Is the increased oxygen necessary to counter the biomass death caused by the ER? Or just for the sake of the fish since meds are in the water?
I did a PWC prior to treating and sucked out at least 90% of of the cyano. Then added two packets of ER and watched the blizzard of white particles swirl around. That was short lived as it cleared up in a few minutes. Going to dose as directed.

I am running two AC50s in a 20g long which should provide adequate of circulation. I will keep an eye on the fish since I'm using DIY CO2.

Using the proper amount of Erythromycin is safe for fish and BB but personally I would not increase CO2 during treatment. The only thing your tank might experience is an ammonia spike towards the end of the treatment due to the dying cyano.

Another question: I have two vases (1-2 qt) on a window sill where I keep reserves of flame and (java or Christmas) moss. Very low maintenance (been there for a few years). I have noticed cyano in those vases as well. The ER comes in packets for treating 10 gallons. Should I treat with a guesstimated portion of the ER or will other treatments work such as hydrogen peroxide, dilute bleach? Probably as a dip or brief soak in a ziplock bag. Just curious.

Is the increased oxygen necessary to counter the biomass death caused by the ER? Or just for the sake of the fish since meds are in the water? I did a PWC prior to treating and sucked out at least 90% of of the cyano. Then added two packets of ER and watched the blizzard of white particles swirl around. That was short lived as it cleared up in a few minutes. Going to dose as directed. I am running two AC50s in a 20g long which should provide adequate of circulation. I will keep an eye on the fish since I'm using DIY CO2.
Wait...I though I posted that on the thread where the guy has Rhizo. Oops. LOL. Wrong thread.

Another question: I have two vases (1-2 qt) on a window sill where I keep reserves of flame and (java or Christmas) moss. Very low maintenance (been there for a few years). I have noticed cyano in those vases as well. The ER comes in packets for treating 10 gallons. Should I treat with a guesstimated portion of the ER or will other treatments work such as hydrogen peroxide, dilute bleach? Probably as a dip or brief soak in a ziplock bag. Just curious.

You can try using peroxide if you want. Try putting about 8ml in the 1qt jar and 16ml in the 2 qt jar. Then if you use dry ferts I would add some nitrates and get them up to about 20ppm in the jars.

One thing to remember is you can introduce cyano off plants so be sure any of that moss you use in your tanks is cyano free. Or you can put it in a breeder box or two and put it in the tank your treating with Erythro.

I've never added extra O2 in a tank I was treating with Erythromycin.

I treated both jars; one bubbled up quite a bit and caused the moss to float at the surface. I can see the cyano dying off already.
Good idea about the moss breeder boxes in the tank with the ER. Might try that, however, I want to make sure things clear up in the tank so I may hold off introducing anything new.
I believe the O2 comment was in response to a reply that was intended for another member (with rhizo).

I treated both jars; one bubbled up quite a bit and caused the moss to float at the surface. I can see the cyano dying off already. Good idea about the moss breeder boxes in the tank with the ER. Might try that, however, I want to make sure things clear up in the tank so I may hold off introducing anything new. I believe the O2 comment was in response to a reply that was intended for another member (with rhizo).
yeah I got my threads mixed up. LOL

Back
Top Bottom