What kind of light do I need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oops! That is so not abusive language in England. Beavers make them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it's safe to say that algae simply grows faster and more efficiently than most plants do. Balance is everything in a planted tank, no one tank is the same as the next. When there is an abundance of nutrients and light but lacking in some department? Algae... bad flow? Algae! There are many different types of algae and reasons for their presence. Best thing you can do is everything in your power to limit it's prevalence in your planted tank. You'll hear this talk of "99% algae free"... mehhh i doubt it... all planted tanks have algae. It's actually healthy just unsightly.. i forgot where I was going with this.. keep in mind I am 99% unsure of what I'm doing, just lucky thus far!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Finnex planted plus on high tech 20tall..

Attachments

• 1431466854645.jpg
    1431466854645.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 51
You'll hear this talk of "99% algae free"... mehhh i doubt it... all planted tanks have algae.

I used to think that, too. Whatever helps you sleep at night *ahem*

(I'm just kidding, of course. Hi Brookster! :whistle: )

I'm certainly no stranger to algae-farming. What I've slowly learned is that maximum, unlimited growth at a given light-level is absolutely key. Getting to that point is easier said than done, especially if you're like me and you tend to assume you're already there.

Algae on hardscape and equipment doesn't count, right? ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

So, to make sure I understood:

Too much light + too much nitrates = algae.

Too much ferts does not necessarily equal algae.

A whole bunch of other reasons = algae.

That Finnex Planted+ sounds like a good light. I might just give it a go.

PerfectDepth, What is PO4? Fertilizer?

Brookster, nice tank!!

Hey, here's another question...

Most people will agree that having your aquarium light on for too long will cause trouble (that algae again!). Eight hours of light seems to be a consensus, but does it have to be one whole 8 hour block or can it be divided into two sessions of four hours?

I'd like to enjoy my aquarium when I'm home before and after work. If the light is only on the 8 hours that I'm at work, I'll have to look at my fish in the dark. :(

Apart from that darn algae, are there any other reasons to limit light exposure?

Algae... get a weaker led to use for after hours viewing...

Hey, here's another question...

Most people will agree that having your aquarium light on for too long will cause trouble (that algae again!). Eight hours of light seems to be a consensus, but does it have to be one whole 8 hour block or can it be divided into two sessions of four hours?

I'd like to enjoy my aquarium when I'm home before and after work. If the light is only on the 8 hours that I'm at work, I'll have to look at my fish in the dark. :(

Apart from that darn algae, are there any other reasons to limit light exposure?

That's called a light siesta and I hear it works really well. 4 on, 2 off, 4 on.
Algae needs a longer photosynthesis period to thrive, whereas plants can pick up and turn off really easily.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Yes, splitting the photoperiod is fine and can even help prevent algae. You'll eventually figure out what works best for your tank and your schedule. I currently have my lights running only in the evening, 4-11 PM, when I'm actually home to enjoy it.

PO4 is phosphate which is added as a source of phosphorus in planted tanks. You might not even need additional phosphorus in your tank.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/introduction-fertilizing-planted-tank/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's called a light siesta and I hear it works really well. 4 on, 2 off, 4 on.
Algae needs a longer photosynthesis period to thrive, whereas plants can pick up and turn off really easily.

Algae needs a longer photosynthesis period is just a myth. Aquatic Macrophytes and Microphytes respond pretty much the same to changes in light. Why wouldn't they? as they are competing with one another.

One of the only benefits of a siesta period is to build in CO2. So if you are seeing improvements in your tank from a siesta period, you likely have a CO2 problem.

Back
Top Bottom