What kind of plant is this? Flowers??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Typow07

Aquarium Advice Regular
The plant here obviously floats, I was told at the Lfs it was aquarium lettuce. What are some bonuses and downfalls of this plant? It seems to love it's environment! So hopefully the tank likes it being there too

image-123316326.jpg

Are these flowers?

Attachments

• image-3294537902.jpg
    image-3294537902.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-4256888391.jpg
    image-4256888391.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 61
No offense, I come here to ask real people not Google. I did look it up on google, I'm looking for real people who have had them.

coursair just gave some advice,and told youto google it to see if it matched. perfectly good help

I've seen those plants near a park /trail and thought they were cool. Altho I have never had this plant, it seems to like bright light. It seems to be a floating plant and can shade others below, so be careful when putting in tank. It likes brisk current. Trim yellow leaves as usual and remove stolons. This was about all the information I have on this plant so I hope more can chime in!

I've only had Dwarf Water Lettuce. It didn't do well in my tanks. Most Floaters don't like too strong a current ( tho yours looks very sturdy ).

I use liquid Ferts. I don't let it take over the entire surface. Water Lettuce can get quite large I believe.

I originally gave you a better Common name so when you read, you'll get more info.

Thank you, I appreciate the info. I was in a hurry this morning and a little grumpy haha

Yep, water lettuce! I havent had much luck with it in a tank because my fish eat the roots but I still buy it every spring anyway & keep some in a baby pool outside to throw in. I love the way the hanging roots look! :)

I think that dwarf water lettuce and regular water lettuce are the same species. I have had dwarf water lettuce for some time in my tanks and it rarely gets bigger than silver dollar size. I put some in tubs last year outdoors and some of them got to be nearly the size of softballs by the end of summer.

They are nice plants, provide decent cover, and are easy enough to remove if they become an issue. I also agree that they do better with minimal movement.

Back
Top Bottom