What kind of plants will this support?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have this setup. It is an Aqueon hood. 24 inch bulb,17 watt lamp. I changed the bulb to floramax plant growth from aqueon for my plants.

I have swords wisteria and some others that I don't know.I would give you a picture but the app keeps crashing.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111115_181021.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111115_181021.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 50
Ill warn you that upgrading the bulb wont really help that much, it will help but wont change what types of plants you can keep. Id tell you this, Get plants that are the size you want already that require low light, Dont get anubius its a black hair algae magnet. The reason I tell you to get large plants is because your light wont allow them to grow much but will only support their life possibly most likely even java fern will just turn brown and slowly die. dose some excel it will help alot and use root tabs because the plants in that low of light will benefit most from root tabs RIGHT next to the base of each plant because with that low of lighting they wont grow very long roots. If I was you I would pick up a t5ho from fish need it. the 2 bulb 24inch fixture is only 73$ with shipping, you will be able to grow many more plants and they will actually fill out. If you have any questions let me know Ill be glad to help you with FW planted its my specialty
T5-HO Light

If you havent bought the tank yet just get the 29 gallon w/o hood and get the t5ho fixture, if you want a planted tank you will be MUCH happier with a light beings thats 75% of a planted tank without Co2 and the other 25% is doseing the right stuff.
Check out my tank if you need some ideas in my sig, Its a post of my whole build with somewhat up to date pictures Im letting my tank fill back in before it always looks a bit scraggaly after a trim and replant haha

CleverBs said:
Ill warn you that upgrading the bulb wont really help that much, it will help but wont change what types of plants you can keep. Id tell you this, Get plants that are the size you want already that require low light, Dont get anubius its a black hair algae magnet. The reason I tell you to get large plants is because your light wont allow them to grow much but will only support their life possibly most likely even java fern will just turn brown and slowly die. dose some excel it will help alot and use root tabs because the plants in that low of light will benefit most from root tabs RIGHT next to the base of each plant because with that low of lighting they wont grow very long roots. If I was you I would pick up a t5ho from fish need it. the 2 bulb 24inch fixture is only 73$ with shipping, you will be able to grow many more plants and they will actually fill out. If you have any questions let me know Ill be glad to help you with FW planted its my specialty
T5-HO Light

If you havent bought the tank yet just get the 29 gallon w/o hood and get the t5ho fixture, if you want a planted tank you will be MUCH happier with a light beings thats 75% of a planted tank without Co2 and the other 25% is doseing the right stuff.
Check out my tank if you need some ideas in my sig, Its a post of my whole build with somewhat up to date pictures Im letting my tank fill back in before it always looks a bit scraggaly after a trim and replant haha

Thanks! Yeah your right. I'll just wait for the dollar per gallon sale and get one then. Then get a light.

I would you will be SO much happier with that because the light is a huge deal in a planted tank. I started with one of those set ups but with a 10 gallon tank, upgraded the bulb and couldnt even keep java moss alive. I then bought a 75 gallon, In line injected co2 and a 3bulb t5ho fixture and have an amazing planted tank. The only thing I still wish I did was bought a bigger light...I wish I would of got a 4 or even a 6 bulb fixture. for your 29 if you can spar the extra 30$ ontop of all that id get the 4 bulb t5ho fixture thats 99$ im getting it for my 25gallon SW tank.

Oh and save a few bucks by going to home depot and in the industrial lighting area there are light fixture screens that are plastic and are basicly squares (you see people use it to hold frags alot) and cut it to size for your tank so you dont need to buy a glass hood. I did this for my 25gallon and 40 gallon tank and just using plastic aquarium safe spray paint from wal mart (dont remember the brand) to paint them black and they work and look great.

that light will do just fine, Id think the most important thing that makes a big difference in a t5ho fixture that alot of the cheaper ones dont have is individual reflectors.

even with a 2 bulb you wont be limited at all. the only thing you wont be able to keep proabably is a carpetting plant and even then some types you could pull off.

I liove carpeting plants. Can you give me an example of one that could live under that?

Getting a t5ho light just doesnt seem practical to me. If you want minor plants, what comes with the tank is fine. It will do the job for most low light plants. I really only recommend some fertilizer, flourish excel will do the job.

Hey CleverBs! Hope you guys don't mind me butting in...i'm new to all this and doing my research before setting up after the holidays. Like swimswithfish I was gonna get a tank w/hood but i'm guessing thats not a great idea? I'm just wanting low light plants and will not have co2... so am i understanding right that the common hood lights will not even support those? Thanks for any help :thanks:

Sorry I'm completely Ignorant about planted tanks.... If you ever decide you wanna get salty THEN, I can answere some questions. But these guys are the experts:)^

Same here! I'm trying to learn something about them as I would soooo love to have one. They just look so natural....I just don't want to pummel someone with questions but i suppose they'll let me know when they've had enough...lol. Thanks though....I'll just follow your thread and see what I learn:)

Back
Top Bottom