What LEDS???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys/gals. I'm in the market for a LED fixture for my 55g. I plan on moderately planting it and would love to go with an LED fixture. The selection we have on this side of the pond is basically CRAP. I'm struggling to get any fixtures, any for less than $500 that is. I could go the T5 route but I like the idea of LEDs. Although you guys run on less voltage than us, I can get a transformer to solve this issue. You guys have a great selection of fixtures to choose from, at decent prices. I want to go medium light, no C02, liquid carbon instead. I plan on using EI dosing. I have included an old picture of a set-up I had on my 55g. I would like to replicate this layout(without the airstones) with real plants(which I am also open to suggestions on). My tank dimensions are 39"(L)x16"(W)x20"(H)....
Any opinions/suggestion/idea or link very much appreciated...Thanks, Ian

69373-albums11096-picture50180.jpg

Try BuildMyLED.com

I like the Dutch or Iwagumi spectrum. I also recommend getting the optional dimmer and mounting legs.

According to their FAQ's... they ship internationally and their fixtures accept your voltage on that side of the pond.

http://www.buildmyled.com/faqs/#q1

check out Finnex Home page

most of their LED units are in the 150US range for a 48" and have the PAR at depths of over 16" to grow med light plants. the rayII DS is high light
Thanks phishfriend. I will put that on my research list. It looks like a nice light. I have 'another' slight issue though!!. My tank is 100cm, or 39.37 inches to be exact. It is fitted in a space with about 2" of room on each side, so a 48" is out. The next model is 36", with what looks like non-extenable legs??. **** my German made, non branded tank...haha

Try BuildMyLED.com

I like the Dutch or Iwagumi spectrum. I also recommend getting the optional dimmer and mounting legs.

According to their FAQ's... they ship internationally and their fixtures accept your voltage on that side of the pond.

FAQ's
Thanks Brian, I will be checking that out tonight. I contacted Current about the Sat+, like you suggested in another thread and this is what I got back earlier. Very Interesting/exciting, if true!!!.

Your request (#17160) has been deemed solved.
To review, comment and reopen the request, follow the link below:
http://currentusa.zendesk.com/requests/17160

Current USA - Support, Nov 11 09:12 (PST): Dear Hobbyist,
Thank you for contacting Current-USA and showing interest in our products.
Yes, one Satellite LED+ will work great for medium light requiring plants and provide plenty of light on a tank of this size!
Sincerely,
Current-USA, Technical Support

Ian Hoey, Nov 08 15:32 (PST): Hi. I am very interested in your Satellite LED+ fixture. I am considering your 36"-48" fixture. I would like to moderately plant my 55g with medium light plants. The dimensions of the tank are 39"(L), 16"(W) and 19"(H). I was planning on resting the fixture on the tank walls, not raising it. I was wondering if one of these fixtures is enough to grow my medium light plants...Thanks, Ian
This email is a service from Current USA Support. http://www.current-usa.com/

Thanks Brian, I will be checking that out tonight. I contacted Current about the Sat+, like you suggested in another thread and this is what I got back earlier. Very Interesting/exciting, if true!!!.

Your request (#17160) has been deemed solved.
To review, comment and reopen the request, follow the link below:
http://currentusa.zendesk.com/requests/17160

Current USA - Support, Nov 11 09:12 (PST): Dear Hobbyist,
Thank you for contacting Current-USA and showing interest in our products.
Yes, one Satellite LED+ will work great for medium light requiring plants and provide plenty of light on a tank of this size!
Sincerely,
Current-USA, Technical Support

Ian Hoey, Nov 08 15:32 (PST): Hi. I am very interested in your Satellite LED+ fixture. I am considering your 36"-48" fixture. I would like to moderately plant my 55g with medium light plants. The dimensions of the tank are 39"(L), 16"(W) and 19"(H). I was planning on resting the fixture on the tank walls, not raising it. I was wondering if one of these fixtures is enough to grow my medium light plants...Thanks, Ian
This email is a service from Current USA Support. http://www.current-usa.com/

Well, you might be around 30 +/- PAR... which is very close to low if not on the very low end of medium... so, if you're cool with that, then one should be fine. But IMO, I think one Sat+ is equivalent to a single bulb T5HO. I'm using two on my 60P and I'm getting a good solid medium/high lighting.. roughly around 72 PAR -- but this tank is only 14" tall.

Here's a good link... some PAR numbers are there but that's from a 24" model I believe. Getting the 36" model will increase the PAR values some.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

Remember, these people are trying to sell you a product. Take their word with a grain of salt.

Also, are Current and Finnex wares available over there?

Remember, these people are trying to sell you a product. Take their word with a grain of salt.

Also, are Current and Finnex wares available over there?
A spoonful of salt. That's why I wanted to check with you guys. NO, Finnex and Current are NOT officially sold over here, as far as I know. I have searched for hours and found no vendors. Tried our ebay and amazon, no luck. I can import the Current Sat+ from your ebay. I know for certain Current don't sell as the rep told me. Unfortunately for me/us they don't have to, with the market being so big stateside....
PS...Also the different voltage maybe a factor, not worth the hassle...

Last edited:
Sorry man, I thought you were looking to buy from a stateside company and have it shipped over. Thats the only reason I make the recommendation I did.

Sorry man, I thought you were looking to buy from a stateside company and have it shipped over. Thats the only reason I make the recommendation I did.
I AM...lol. Thanks for the recommendation. It works out cheaper to buy and ship most of my gear from the US(excluding heavy goods or high wattage electrical), believe it or not. I buy most of my tools/food/water treatments from there. An example, I can get a 500ml bottle of Prime(including shipping) for slightly less than I can buy a 100ml bottle over here.....

Well if your getting prime shipped over then you my want to check a product from the same company call "safe". Its simply prime in a powder form. I remember someone saying that they spent close to the same price they paid for prime but actually got more doses buying the powder form. Not sure if thats the case but its worth checking out in your case.

Well if your getting prime shipped over then you my want to check a product from the same company call "safe". Its simply prime in a powder form. I remember someone saying that they spent close to the same price they paid for prime but actually got more doses buying the powder form. Not sure if thats the case but its worth checking out in your case.
I have heard of that and actually had a thread a while back on it. If I remember correctly it lasts 4+ longer than Prime. The thread didn't get many responses, not sure if many people heard/use it. I found the dosage a bit confusing, not as straight forward as the liquid....

Well I remember using it back in the day. The dosage confusion is what lead to them market prime. All they did was add some water to the safe and slapped a new sticker and name on it. Insuring the future of the company indefinitely......priceless

Well, you might be around 30 +/- PAR... which is very close to low if not on the very low end of medium... so, if you're cool with that, then one should be fine. But IMO, I think one Sat+ is equivalent to a single bulb T5HO. I'm using two on my 60P and I'm getting a good solid medium/high lighting.. roughly around 72 PAR -- but this tank is only 14" tall.

Here's a good link... some PAR numbers are there but that's from a 24" model I believe. Getting the 36" model will increase the PAR values some.
Is the Satellite Freshwater Plus bright enough?!
What about the new higher light from Current. I have heard you mention it on your thread about the Current Sat LED+. Would this suit my situation better. I looked at the "Build My Led" site you suggested and this is definitely a back up option but I really like the look and reviews of the Sat LED+. My issue is the Build My LED product comes in 36" and 48" which is not ideal for my tank. Mine is 39" in length. I could hang it but I like the extenable legs on the Current. Have you any more info on this new light??
Also, I measured my tanks height again today and it turns out it is 18", closer to 16 with substrate. I don't know if this makes a massive difference??

Yeah if you don't mind waiting till around January, I'd definitely get that Ecoxotic version of the Sat+. Higher output with ability to dim. It comes with an online pro ramp timer (from what I gather) too. Has all the dynamic modes as well.

Conas ata tu Ian,
The info I read on the Ecoxotic Current LED sounds awesome. If you can stand to wait, I'd get it when it comes out in January. Knowing your goals in plants I know you'll need the extra PAR AND I know you would really like the extra dimming/programming features. Be patient mon Cara. Have a pint and wait. LOL I got an extra Guiness I'll share with you.
Hey! Your 55g is NICE!
Slan, Breeun.

Haha... I just read my post again... my phone spell check decided to put online instead of inline... so it's inline, not online... fyi

Yeah if you don't mind waiting till around January, I'd definitely get that Ecoxotic version of the Sat+. Higher output with ability to dim. It comes with an online pro ramp timer (from what I gather) too. Has all the dynamic modes as well.
I'll gladly wait until January, no problem. I had a quick google on the Ecoxotic and can't seem to find any info on it. I'm happy if it just grows my plants, anything 'extra' is a bonus. I know it's probably being kept under wraps but have you any info on it, has it extendable legs, price???

Conas ata tu Ian,
The info I read on the Ecoxotic Current LED sounds awesome. If you can stand to wait, I'd get it when it comes out in January. Knowing your goals in plants I know you'll need the extra PAR AND I know you would really like the extra dimming/programming features. Be patient mon Cara. Have a pint and wait. LOL I got an extra Guiness I'll share with you.
Hey! Your 55g is NICE!
Slan, Breeun.
Hey Breeun, ta ma go maith. I'll be happy to wait. I hope it doesn't cost much more than the Sat LED+. It's costing me enough already!!. The extra par I need, the dimming/programming is a nice bonus. I was looking at the Finnex Ray2 but as usual, not available to me....

I'll gladly wait until January, no problem. I had a quick google on the Ecoxotic and can't seem to find any info on it. I'm happy if it just grows my plants, anything 'extra' is a bonus. I know it's probably being kept under wraps but have you any info on it, has it extendable legs, price???

Here's the thread with the 'sneak peak' video on the Ecoxotic. I believe there discussion there on tentative release. But pricing isn't finalized yet.

Sneak peak at the new plant light!

You can post a question to the Current/Eco Rep about the legs.

But "I think" it will look like Ecoxotic's Marine/Reef LED fixture. It's hard to tell from the video, but it does look like it here, but with the RGB's and suitable spectrum for planted tanks:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic..._Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX09242-FILTFILDTF-vi.html

Back
Top Bottom