What next for algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaddyD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know if I'm worrying too much about nothing so I'll include pictures.
And I'm always reading but there's so many different possibilities, it's overwhelming me.
I don't mind some algae because it's clearly helping my otos stay alive.

My Amazons were small and had holes so I added tabs. They grew up well, but then came the algae...

I use Flourish tabs, Flourish 2x a week, and Excel daily about 6ml in a 60 gal tank.

I've tried decreasing the amount of light first by cutting from 10 to 8 hours for a few weeks, then to 4 for a week, then by just using ambient light for the past week. It's still there. Maybe a little more than last week. The new growth on the Amazons have no signs of algae. Always the edges get it. The top of the wisteria had no algae but the bottom is covered. My anubias are covered with two different kinds.

I've seen suggestions to add more nutrients to help the plants grow & out work the algae.
Or should I be adding more Excel?
Or should I look at another carbon option?
Or should I cover the tank with a black sheet for a few days?
Or should I leave it be and let the snails and otos have fun?
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1465097858550.jpg
    1465097858550.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 1465097868595.jpg
    1465097868595.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 1465097878098.jpg
    1465097878098.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1465098002875.jpg
    1465098002875.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 94
Hi Daddy (that was weird)

First of all, like the idea behind the scape, obviously some good thought gone in to the placement of plants, substrate and hardscape but would look better if the plants were healthier obviously. I feel your frustration.

Big tanks can be a pain to grow plants in successfully. The bigger the tank the harder it becomes to evenly distribute co2 and nutrients. I can't remember if you included your filter and flow design into your post but in this tank the more flow the better. On some plant dedicated forums they recommend 10x the tank volume per hour flow rate. All outlets and nozzles should point in the same direction.

According to the masses, almost all algae problems are caused by poor co2 and distribution.

Excel is a good carbon injection substitute in small tanks but in a tank that size will get costly very quickly. I don't know the dosing recommendations of excel but I wouldn't be surprised if you were under dosing. The fact that excel has algae destroying properties and isn't having an effect on the algae leads me to this conclusion. That said I wouldn't be relying on excel. I would look in to carbon enrichment via gas injection with ample flow in unison. I would also scrap your nutrient dosing regimen in favour of Estimative index whilst removing any decaying or dying leaves and keeping the tank as clean as possible.

I believe this will go a long way in solving your problem.

Anymore questions feel free to ask. Most of us have (and still are) battled/battling algae so don't be too down about it.

Other members will be able to help you choose an injection system too should you decide to go down this route.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Hey D

From what I can see you have Black Beard Algae on the anubias and the brown algae is a form of diatoms. The latter can be deal with by reducing light (10 hours under those lamps is perhaps a little too excessive) I'd reduce it to six hours and then increase from there if needed. The BBA is caused by inconsistent levels of CO2. It is one of the most unsightly and very few critters are known to tackle it.

I've seen BBA solved with DIY yeast based CO2 setups and pressurized CO2. With my limited knowledge those are the only two methods of eradicating BBA quickly.

Thanks for the responses! I am using 2 FLuval 70's pretty good flow.
I will look into a new way to add Carbon and also have been looking at the Estimative Index.
The BBA is definitely annoying to look at and was my major concern! I just wasn't sure if that's what it was. I've been afraid to turn on my lights lately lol

I will look into a new way to add Carbon and also have been looking at the Estimative Index.
The BBA is definitely annoying to look at and was my major concern! I just wasn't sure if that's what it was. I've been afraid to turn on my lights lately lol

You can turn off low for 5 minutes and use a pipette to squirt some excel directly on to the BBA. It will go red, then white then disappear but if you do not address the cause it's as good as walking up a downward escalator. Try not to focus on algae but plant health. Algae tends to subside when plants are non limiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thank you! Definitely looking for both a short and long term fix!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you decide to use diy co2 experiment with different mixes. A common complaint is high output to start and then a gradual or sharp decrease. Brewers yeast is said to be the most consistent than bakers in those setups.

Back
Top Bottom