What plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 13 gallon tank with 2 13w lights...
Am I just stuck with low lights? Or can I do medium lights? I'm really thinking about a DIY co2 as well...
Any ideas?

I have a list of low light plants for the 40, I'll PM it to you later since its not on my Laptop. I'm not getting any fancy lights (At least I wasn't going to with the turtle) so they are all low maintenance.

it really depends on the bulbs and the kelvin rating you have. You might be fine, you might have medium lighting, or maybe even high light, it all depends.

I got a pair of Mini CFLs form lowes with 6500k, they only use a few watts and cost bout 7$ for 2. This should give you ALLOT of lighting for such a small tank. Not sure if you need Co2 but root tabs and ferts help keep em green.

hope this helps :D

They have each have 2700 k each... If that helps. So what type of lighting plants can I have?

Should I do a co2 thing? And should I get better lights? I really would love s nice planted tank:)

They have each have 2700 k each... If that helps. So what type of lighting plants can I have?

You really can't grow anything under 2700K lights. If you want to grow some easy beginner plants (anacharis, hornwort, java fern, java moss, etc.) you will need to get bulbs that are 6500/6700K. These mimic the color spectrum plants experince from the sun. If you can get two 13 watt lights that are 6700K (I use Sylvania 6700K Daylight Compact Flourescents which can be purchased at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart) then you will be set for some low to medium light plants.

I would skip the co2, but that is just me. A lot of people like running co2 because they enjoy the enhanced growth. I don't have any experince with DIY co2, but I know it is fairy simple, so I guess it is just up to you.

Cool thanks! I'll go look for some of those either tomorrow or this weekend! I can't wait to have this thing planted!

Back
Top Bottom