What Plants ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I dont want out fancy so here goes, I have a standard light wich is on for 10 hours a day. P.H is about 7 may slightly be lowered in future.The substrate will be black sand.

Do these plants sound ok.

Java Fern
Java Moss
Amazon Swords.
Vallis.

Now I want some small ones for the front and one that goes across the floor
LOL.

Please reply. I do actually want these plants to grow and not die like all my rest.

amazon swords don't grow very well in low light.. i had some and they would grow new leaves.. but the older leaves would turn brown and fall off. I think its becuase i only have like .5wpg.. if you have at least 2wpg.. hopefully they will work for you.

I have found that anarchis grows good in my tank though.. java moss and java fern are great. If you do get anarchis, make sure you plant it in BIG bunches.. i had to finally plant mine inwhat i call my "anarchis jungle" it looks pretty good
img_472935_0_fa7f4156817e567e324748f0bed7629a.jpg

and heres the java fern behind my driftwood log
img_472935_1_262e955507bd38bbdafc9b0ab351c925.jpg

hey ashley,
I noticed dat u hav a banana plant...does it grow well?
Im getting 15vallis corkscrew,5 e tennelus and 5 creeping jennys from Java in the post hopefully 2moro(UK)

AshleyNicole said:
amazon swords don't grow very well in low light.. i had some and they would grow new leaves.. but the older leaves would turn brown and fall off. I think its becuase i only have like .5wpg.. if you have at least 2wpg.. hopefully they will work for you.

For that very reason, I'm conducting an experiment with my amazon's. I have two in my low-light tank for the past few months. Their growth is amazingly slow but so far, they haven't shown any signs of distress and look pretty vibrant (see my fish and plants clicky).

Java ferns and moss will definitely do well (nice looking plants btw Ashley :), anarcharis will also grow slowly but it will strive.

HTH.

tailbarlionfish said:
hey ashley,
I noticed dat u hav a banana plant...does it grow well?
Im getting 15vallis corkscrew,5 e tennelus and 5 creeping jennys from Java in the post hopefully 2moro(UK)

so far so good with the banana plant but its not "shooting to the surface" like some say. I am happy with the results.

JC.. i do believe thats your java fern back there ;)
that was one reason i traded the amazon swords to you, instead of letting them die 8O

AshelyNicole said:
JC.. i do believe thats your java fern back there
that was one reason i traded the amazon swords to you, instead of letting them die

Boy do you have a good memory. :) I figured you would remember that. Apologies for hijacking the thread. :oops:

No probs lol :lol: . I have decided on Vallis, java fern and maybe java moss. I will ad other little bunched from the store to see how each plant copes. lol. :D
Thank you for help every one.

yeah.. i love the java fern.. its always sprouting little babies with little spores and they float around until they fall somewhere else and start to grow... but that is the biggest clump.

regarding amazon swords...

i've hd an eclipse 6 gallon set up with 1.3 wpg incandescent light for over a year now...started off with one very small amazon sword, which has grown very big and very lush as has produced 2 lovely offshoots. i've found that it does really well in low light. i hardly even need to remove leaves...

btw--i also have a (very slow growing) anubias hastifolia (sp?), and an anubias nana which have been doing well...

Back
Top Bottom