What plants do plecos like.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And they gotta be cheap

Like? I don't think plecos care about plants. They will eat the algae and biofilm from them, but they won't eat the plants themselves unless you don't give them enough food (like algae wafers).

Depending on the type and size of pleco, you may end up with plants uprooted. They don't do it on purpose, and if they are stem plants they are easily replanted.

I like to have java fern and anubias attached to wood- they are very hardy, low care plants that are happy in the low light conditions that my plecos prefer. And of course the plecos love to munch the wood :)

Pleco's don't eat plants. What you do see is on some of the broader leaf plants like Amazon Swords or large Anubia a pleco will go and rasp on the leaves to remove algae and biofilm which also scrapes some of the leaf tissue off making you think they are eating the plant.

If your looking for a food item for your pleco I cut a 1/4" thick slice of Zucchini, microwave it for about 10 seconds, then immediately rinse under cold tap water (blanching) to stop the cooking process. Then either tie it on a rock and lay it on the substrate or I put it on a veggie clip and hang it on the side of the glass after lights are off for the pleco to eat on. My pleco's know right where to go and wait for me to hang it.

Back
Top Bottom