What plants spread accros the substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b4tn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I see alot of tanks that have grass or a plant with small leaves that sprouts all over the substrate. Which plant is this? Do you have to seed the substrate?

Go to plantgeek.net and click on plant guide. Then go to the placement option. select foreground. Look through the plants and you might be able to find what you are looking for. HTH

Yup, I think thats it thanks. Are there any other types of plants that spread accross the substrate? I have seen some that just looks like blades of grass also. I would like to see if I can cover the ground with something green.

Narrow leaf chain sword
Echinodorus tenellus

I started with 6 plants in two groups of 3 about 6 weeks ago. I now have a 12" x 8" area with a thich lush lawn like appearance. I am very happy with these. It took a week for them to get over being planted...then they started producing a couple runners (plantlets) a day. Last night I was looking at them and realizing in fact, that this weekend I need to trim a few plants and thin things out. I guess I will sell the plants I trim at the SVAS auction this weekend.

Water clover (various Marsilea species) are easier ground covers. They aren't very demanding. Marsilea minuta is often called "poor-man's glossostigma."

It's really sort of surprising what you can get to grow in a carpet, especially with high-light and CO2. As light intensity increases it's almost like it exerts a downward pressure on the shorter plants in your tank. If you're willing to do enough work you can use plants like Riccia fluitans for carpets too. Some other oddball/fairly uncommon carpet plants are Elatine triandra, Hemianthus callitrichoides (aka HC), Ranalisma spp., Ranunculus papulentus (well, OK, I've tried it anyway :p ), Pogostemon helferi. I could go on and on :)

I like dwarf hairgrass and if it ever fills in I might have a pic of how it looks. Hopefully after this pruning it'll get enough light and thicken up.

for the hemia stuff ive tried a small portion of it, and i couldnt get it to stay rooted

Back
Top Bottom