What plants survive at low pH & low light (6.0 or under)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeffs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I am keeping weitzmani tetras in a 4 gallon and they absolutely MUST have low pH (5-6.5). I am aiming for 6.0. The tank also has very weak lighting because the fish dislike bright lights. 5 watts at 4 gal (1.25wpg). Furthermore, I am using small pebbles for substrate so the plants cannot be rooted as well. I know it's tough to plant stuff but can you guys recommend me some plants that can survive in those conditions? What about java fern and anacharis?

Unfortunatly that's extremely low light on that small of an aquarium. While you MIGHT have a chance with Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Crypts, you'd probably be better off skipping live plants unless you decide to upgrade the lighting. (For reference I've got 36 watts over a 5.5 gallon and consider it to be approximately medium light.)

I know my lighting sucks. It's one of those lousy 4 gallon baby biorb I got as a gift. Baby biOrb Silver Aquarium Kit at PETCO

Frankly it's pathetic with an undergravel filter (can't put fine gravel needed for plants), tiny surface area due to the spherical design and a puny 5 watts which can't be upgraded. I have nothing good to say about the product but oh well...

Purrbox or anyone else, those plants that are mentioned: anubias, java fern, java moss, crypts, do they do fine in 6.0pH? If not, any other plants that doesn't have to be rooted and can survive with 1.25wpg?

Jeffs - I strongly recommend that you purchase some ADA Aquasoil for that tank. You should look into Amazonia or Amazonia II, either the sand or the gravel will be okay. It will buffer your pH EXACTLY where you want it. I have it in my CRS/CBS tank and that's what most people use since CRS/CBS are so fragile. It does an excellent job at keeping the pH stable and it also removes some hardness from the water. I haven't had to adjust my tank in MONTHS and when I add new water (pH of 8.0 and hardness of 300ppm) it's no big deal because the amount is so small and the soil gets the water to where it needs to be! I have java moss in the tank with almost no light and it is THRIVING for some reason. I've heard that an acidic pH is quite beneficial to plants for better uptake of nutrients, so maybe this is why my moss is doing so well. I think that rule pertains to rooted plants but my moss is doing excellent with mainly ambient lighting.

Also, if you have an incandescent light on the tank it'd be more like 0 wpg because that light isn't very useful to plants. You might want to change the bulb out with a CF if it's the screw in type.

I'd look into java fern and some crypts for your setup along with java moss, which I'm sure the tetras would like.

Plants were grown with incandescent lights for many years before the advent of readily usable flourescents. Anubias would be my choice and perhaps Java fern.

You'd need many more "wpg" with incandescent lights over that tank to see any sort of growth though, wouldn't you?

Can't say what WPG requirements would be, but we grew lots of plants with incandescent lights back in the early 60s. I wouldn't do it now, because it isn't necessary, and not all plants will grow well under incandescent, but I used to grow sag by the bushel under incandescents.
At the moment I have a long 30 (48" x 12" x 12" ) that has one 32W T8 tube over it, with out a reflector, and am getting good growth from V. spiralis, E. compacta, L. sessiflora, dwarf sag, and anubias. By good growth I mean I have to trim, and remove plants to keep room for the fish. When I thin I will generally remove 50 or 60 of the Vals. At the moment the tube is a Philips Hi Vision, which isn't likely to be found recommended by any plant growers. I have the same tubes on 2 other similar tanks, but in a 2 tube fixture, and am getting great growth there also. The tubes ere given to me, used, after having been in use for 6 months. A rather unlikely plant tube, but the results speak for themselves. I am surprised by what I am seeing.

That's really great. Too bad you are in Canada or I'd pay you for some of those vals!

Thanks for the advice guys. BS, I can't use ADA soil because of the undergravel filter stuck to the bottom of the tank and soil would just clog up the filter. It really is a useless tank. For now, I have java moss and java fern, let's hope it works. I can see my plants alright with the light, just don't know if it will support the plants I chose. If java moss can't even grow in the tank, I'll probably give it to the trash can and get another tank (not into plastic plants.

Jeffs said:
Thanks for the advice guys. BS, I can't use ADA soil because of the undergravel filter stuck to the bottom of the tank and soil would just clog up the filter. It really is a useless tank. For now, I have java moss and java fern, let's hope it works. I can see my plants alright with the light, just don't know if it will support the plants I chose. If java moss can't even grow in the tank, I'll probably give it to the trash can and get another tank (not into plastic plants.

I have 2 anubias plants growing perfectly in the baby biorb, by the way, it is a 5 watt halogen bulb on the roof. Tie the anubias plant onto one of the rocks included with the tank with some fishing line, and make sure to wipe the leaves of algae every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom