What Should I Expect Next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

semperfi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the hobby and I began cycling my first tank (29g; planted) on Friday, January 23, and planted it on Saturday, January 24. I was not expecting to see any changes for a long time, but as of yesterday I am getting rid of about 3ppm ammonia per day (I have been dosing to 4ppm). Nitrites showed up Monday night at .25 ppm and then last night they were above what my chart could read. Nitrates also showed up last night at 5ppm. I have no idea where I am in the cycle right now and don't know what to expect next. Will the Nitrates go up fairly quickly or will the process slow down. I am really pumped about this! (Even though I was not prepared to move this fast). Could anybody let me know what I can expect now? I have used Seachem Prime, Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride Solution, and Seachem Stability. I am using the API testing kits with solutions and 5mL test tube samples.:fish1:

Attachments

• aqurium.jpg
    aqurium.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 61
First of all, nice tank! I'd say to leave it and check every few days on the parameters, but you want to keep BB colonies alive, so throw in a few pellets every now and then. I had a tank cycle in 7 days, and all fish are still alive today! Just depends now water and all that fun stuff. I suggest that you don't do a fish in cycle, just cruel to the fish and they will most likely die. You're doing good, I'd say for a couple more weeks let it sit, always check water, and do a few water changes to keep nitrates, nitrites and ammonia down. Hope I helped!!

Nils

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I don't plan on adding fish until my plants get going good. I wanna try to figure them out before I add livestock to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice! Sounds like you might be one of the lucky ones where Stability really did what it claims. I agree to give it a couple weeks and make sure you keep providing an ammonia source to keep feeding the BB. The true test will be to stop dosing the Stability for a week or two and see if it can still convert 4ppm of ammonia in 24 hours. For that matter, you could stop dosing it now, especially if you are going to focus on the plants for a while and not add any fish.

I hope it worked. I'm scheduled to stop dosing it Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom