Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2022, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What the heck is this???

Finished cycling a 5-gallon for a betta this weekend. I just planted it and added one nerite snail yesterday. Today, I found this on the glass. Is this Grindal worms?

My new betta arrives on Thursday and I want to make sure this isnít going to harm him.

The thicker white things on the substrate are roots from planting. Itís the white web thingy clinging to the glass Iím concerned about. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60A4B8BE-494B-4692-930F-7BB7EB550354.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	323432  

Old 05-16-2022, 12:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

To be honest I have no idea but had to reply...

To help others with more knowledge could you answer a couple of questions?

1) Does it move other than what might be caused by water movement?
2) Is it possible that it could be a root segment that broke loose from your planting?

I NEVER forget... I just remember late.

jaylach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Itís hard to tell about the moving - it definitely moves a little bit in the water.

It isnít pieces of root. Itís attached itself to the glass. It almost looks like a frogís foot if that makes any sense. The ends of it look like ďtoes.Ē
Old 05-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Don't take this as fact as I don't have the knowledge to tell you what to do but I would sterilize the tank... well, not really

I would not just dispose the ... whatever it is... I would transfer to another container with the gravel in the tank you want including the thing in question. I am a little bit of a 'tree huger' so would never just dispose of something just due to my lack of understanding. Sigh, I'd probably start another small tank for the beta and leave what you see alone to see what happens. I just could not dispose of something that appears to be alive just because I lacked the knowledge to know what I was dealing with. It would be easy to just say to kill the tank, boil the gravel, just totally kill the tank and start over but I could not do that myself without knowing what I was killing.

Keep in mind that I'm speaking in total ignorance but I would never just dispose of something just due to a lack of understanding.

I NEVER forget... I just remember late.

jaylach is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com