What to put under substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got some turface today, and it looks alot better than my white sand imo. I was wondering if I should put something underneath it like peat or (some people say some mulm) or if I could put some like potting mix? (got a feeling that's a bad idea)

its fine on its own. you could do root tabs just depends on what kind of plants you will be growing.

When I use potting soil I use cuttlebone over the top. I put down about 1/4 inch or so of potting soil then grate a light dusting of cuttlebone over that. Then I cap it with whatever I am using.

I used peat moss & soil under the substrate the first time I set my tank up. With the soil, there is a whole procedure of rinsing & cooking (I found on the web) to get rid of ammonia & baddies. But with the goldies digging, the layered substrate just get mixed up & the soil & peat made a mess of the water so I gave up on that idea when I redid the tank.

I used peat moss & soil under the substrate the first time I set my tank up. With the soil, there is a whole procedure of rinsing & cooking (I found on the web) to get rid of ammonia & baddies. But with the goldies digging, the layered substrate just get mixed up & the soil & peat made a mess of the water so I gave up on that idea when I redid the tank.
Was it the mineralized soil that I have read so much about?

I got some turface today, and it looks alot better than my white sand imo. I was wondering if I should put something underneath it like peat or (some people say some mulm) or if I could put some like potting mix? (got a feeling that's a bad idea)

DO NOT USE POTTING MIX!

I only shout this because I tried this the other day...big mistake. All the wood fibers floated up to the top, turned my water into just a tank of black. 6 water changes later, I dumped gravel over the soil, and the water's clearer now, but I spent about 4 hours getting it clean.

So be careful :)

I decided just to go straight turface and get nutrients in the old fashioned way :p

how about a substrate heater (I know this isn't exactly what you are talking about, but it fits the subject)?

There are a lot of very positive comments, especially in the long term, with using a substrate heater in a planted tanks. The theories are vast, but basically it involves convection helping to replace nutrients in the substrate....

how about a substrate heater (I know this isn't exactly what you are talking about, but it fits the subject)?

There are a lot of very positive comments, especially in the long term, with using a substrate heater in a planted tanks. The theories are vast, but basically it involves convection helping to replace nutrients in the substrate....
tom barr done a study on them and from everything i have ever read is they dont really help with anything.

tom barr done a study on them and from everything i have ever read is they dont really help with anything.

I have read (and it makes sense) that they would be beneficial over a long period of time (years, not weeks or months). They can be effective at preventing old tank syndrome in a planted tank. I think if I ever set up a larger tank, I would use 1. Even if the benefit is minimal, they are so inexpensive that I would try it just to see.

Was it the mineralized soil that I have read so much about?

Yes, that was what I read about. It sounded reasonable but is certainly work to set up. It is a cheap replacemetn for flourite or other expensive substrate. But with Schultz Aquasoil (that I switched to) at $10 a big bag, it doesn't seem to be worth while.

Back
Top Bottom