What type of crypt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought this crypt at Petsmart that were labeled as crypt wentii. I think they look like crypt parva. Can you'll identify it please?

Sent from my LG-P659 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408049811554.jpg
    1408049811554.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 90
Its small and hard to tell. I know petsmart often uses tissue culture packs so im thinking this is one of those. If so it will be hard to know for sure until its grown.

Judging from the pictures it looks like wendtii or undulata. Probably not parva; too much purple and bronze coloration.

I got the same crypts from petsmart. They will grow 20x that size and look very different. I think fully grown they look just like wendtiis.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got the same crypts from petsmart. They will grow 20x that size and look very different. I think fully grown they look just like wendtiis.

Can you post a picture of them?

I agree with fishperson, definitely not parva. It's a bit tricky to I.d. them when they are small but wendtii red/bronze or undulata are great guesses. How long have you had them?

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I agree with fishperson, definitely not parva. It's a bit tricky to I.d. them when they are small but wendtii red/bronze or undulata are great guesses. How long have you had them?

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I just bought them earlier. Are these tissue cultured plants since they were in a gel?

It took them about 4-5 months to get this big. Every couple months I have to pull them out because they become a huge thick clump, and each plant separates into about 6 or 8 little plants. They looked exactly like yours when I got them from the tissue culture bag at petsmart. Now they're about 8" tall.
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...1-80BF-4EB8-8FFC-A4205622D4EF_zpsgfs45gsi.jpg
FTS- they're in the front left
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...E-66C8-4E8A-82CF-C4A2ED9AD6D2_zpsehumnafb.jpg
A closer shot of the leaves.
Just give them time, they'll look like wendtiis when they're bigger.

It took them about 4-5 months to get this big. Every couple months I have to pull them out because they become a huge thick clump, and each plant separates into about 6 or 8 little plants. They looked exactly like yours when I got them from the tissue culture bag at petsmart. Now they're about 8" tall.
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...1-80BF-4EB8-8FFC-A4205622D4EF_zpsgfs45gsi.jpg
FTS- they're in the front left
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums...E-66C8-4E8A-82CF-C4A2ED9AD6D2_zpsehumnafb.jpg
A closer shot of the leaves.
Just give them time, they'll look like wendtiis when they're bigger.

About how long will it take it to adjust to being grown submerged?

I dunno. Mine never had a noticeable adjustment period. No melting, they just steadily grew. Just be patient :)

I bought some similar crypts from petsmart. I forgot which ones they were. Pretty sweet deal for $7. Here's what mine turned into.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408063054.623901.jpg

I started it five or so and now I have these.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408063100.003811.jpg

Here they are sitting in front waiting for someone to take them. Lol

I dunno. Mine never had a noticeable adjustment period. No melting, they just steadily grew. Just be patient :)

Ok thanks :)

Forget the words below the pic. I had regular baby tears (HM) for sell and I would throw in a crypt. Lol

I have not tried crypts from the gel packs. Yes, all of those plants tend to be VERY small to start with. Same goes with AR, Bacopa caroliniana, and star repens (which looked more like dwarf baby tears). No melt, it just takes a while to grow out to full size.

Back
Top Bottom