What type of LIGHTING do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsAquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 60 gal, 48" x 17" (tall). I tried a store bought LED strip for 48" tanks and it was HORRIBLE!

So I did some research and purchased 2 light fixtures from home depot for $15 each, t-8, and got 4, 48" bulbs for it. 2 of the bulbs are "daylight", and 2 of the "plants/aquarium" bulbs with a red tint.

I was just curious if anyone else went this route and if so, what are your lights and the results? Are your plants thriving?

Mine seem to be doing well, although it has only been about 3 weeks, they are all still alive.

As a luxury, I went and bout a $45 LED strip that was 8 feet long at home depot and I was able to run it along the inside of the shop lights I have on top. The best part about these is that they do about 20 different colors! I show you the led lights in one of my photos

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1410641937138.jpg
    1410641937138.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 1410641948745.jpg
    1410641948745.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 81
I have two 54 watt T5HOs on my 60 gallon heavily planted. Par-wise it ends up being medium/high light. Plants grow great. My tank is taller, though, at 24" high.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

60 G Tank Lighting

Hello Ad...

I have a 60 G with a couple of T12, 40 watt, 6500K florescent bulbs from the hardware store. If you're keeping the darker green aquatic plants, then this amount of light will be fine. The shop light strip and two bulbs is $18.00 and the lighting will last well over a year. No need to take out a second mortgage on your house to light your planted tank.

B

I have a coral life with 4 t5hos 54w. The fixture, I bought used and it used to be a saltwater fixture so I replaced the two 12000k lights with giesemann plant lights. I left the two other lights actinic. If I would of replaced all the lights I would of been at high light and I don't have a co2 system.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410789629.783233.jpg
Just ordered two of these for my 90 gallon reef tank. Didn't receive them yet but hopefully they work great.

I wound up making a couple metal halide HOB style lamps. One was based on a stand light and the other uses parts from a downed pole light (some idiot ran over the pole, reflector was fine though)

Back
Top Bottom