What wattage should I look for in a bulb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am beginning to plant my 55, low tech and low light plants. Currently I only have a banana plant and have anubias nana coming in tomorrow. I'm going to walmart tonight to see if they carry a bulb similar to the one below and try and Find some kind of clip on lamp. I've read that many people have used bulbs like this with great success with low light plants. I know I need to get the daylight 6500k bulbs, but wattage wise I have no idea. I'm thinking I'm going to need atleast two bulbs for my whole tank. please help!

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Philips-En...t-6500K-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-E-420091/203248911/

Basic, Low Tech Lighting

I am beginning to plant my 55, low tech and low light plants. Currently I only have a banana plant and have anubias nana coming in tomorrow. I'm going to walmart tonight to see if they carry a bulb similar to the one below and try and Find some kind of clip on lamp. I've read that many people have used bulbs like this with great success with low light plants. I know I need to get the daylight 6500k bulbs, but wattage wise I have no idea. I'm thinking I'm going to need atleast two bulbs for my whole tank. please help!

Philips, EnergySaver 13-Watt (60-Watt) T2 Compact Fluorescent Daylight (6500K) Light Bulb (4-Pack) (E)*, 420091 at The Home Depot - Mobile

Hello Mrs....

I've used two of the standard 48 inch 6500K, T12, 40 watt or T8, 32 watt bulbs for my 55 G tanks. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb for about $10.00 each. They'll easily last a year, maybe more.

B

I would probably go with at least 100 watts of light for a tank that big, 200 would be better, but would be pretty hard to do with clip on CFL lights.

The cfl's ended up with are 60w equivalent but only use 13w (energy saver type). I'm running two on my tank currently, so if I'm doing the math correctly... This means I have 120w total with about 2w/gallon?

Back
Top Bottom