What wood is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galarius

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in Ohio and found d this wood in a driftwood pile and it's very clean just wondering what it is the wood pile ad from my creek being flooded any help would be nice thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422583259227.jpg
    1422583259227.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 78
I live in Ohio and found d this wood in a driftwood pile and it's very clean just wondering what it is the wood pile ad from my creek being flooded any help would be nice thanks in advance

Not sure on the type, but on a side note, make sure you soak any and all wood you plan to put in your tank. Soak in a styrofoam cooler with full water for 5-7 days, making sure to change the water daily. When you put water in the cooler and the water is crystal clear, you know all the tannins are gone! (Tannins that are left on the wood will get into the water and make it cloudy.)

Can you press your nail into the pieces? Looks like soft wood..
Eric - soaking wood is not always necessary, some wood will float and release tannins, if you want to counter this? Soak or boil. Some can go right in the tank. Some want the tannins, they stain the water, it's a nice dark look.. does this tank look cloudy;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1422583845237.jpg
    1422583845237.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 78
Can you press your nail into the pieces? Looks like soft wood..
Eric - soaking wood is not always necessary, some wood will float and release tannins, if you want to counter this? Soak or boil. Some can go right in the tank. Some want the tannins, they stain the water, it's a nice dark look.. does this tank look cloudy;)

Yes ;)

I always soak wood regardless, you never know!

Tanin lower pH one reason I didn't boil going for a planted tank

Yes ;)

I always soak wood regardless, you never know!

It's crystal clear, just stained.. soaking will not help "never know", some dw will leech tannins for months and months.

Nope can't the wood is very hard

If you're confident than have at it! I'd take some measures in sterilizing if it's been outdoors for a while though. Boil, bake or bleach...

So if Im doing a planted I want Tannins? That goes against everything Ive ever read...Just wondering!

I heard it's good but just unsightly to most but I kinda like it looks like natural creek or pond water

So if Im doing a planted I want Tannins? That goes against everything Ive ever read...Just wondering!

Not really, they block light, not ideal for.most plants.

Not so much, you'd need a whole lot of tannins to adjust ph on any major level. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I will be using potting soil and fine gravel as substrate

Where at in Ohio do you live? I have no one near me in the tanking hobby. Plus I heard tannins are good I didn't like the way my tank looked at first when j noticed it but after awhile you barely notice. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got another post showing my tank I just setup yesterday

Back
Top Bottom