What would you change here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393045014.285384.jpg
This is the first tank I put together, it s evolved a lot but feel like it needs rescaping. But, just want to use what s there now. Any ideas?

Can I bother you to be more specific? Like, I don t know....., all taller stuff to one side & shorter on the other side?
I was given this fabulous plant yesterday , it kinda looks like a celery top. Was thinking of opening up the middle ( off center) & making it a focal point. Maybe have the two DW tightly together on the right & all three rocks on the left?

I kind of agree with Nanojack. The hardscape you have is great but it kind of looks like you split the tank into three parts by placing a large structure in each spot. You could shift any of the three big structures an inch or two either way and it would change the way you focus on the tank. What i would try is to tilt the middle driftwood so the top is above the edge of the hollow rock. It would move the wood off centre a bit and give more height to the jutting part that points to the dark driftwood. Attach some moss to the jutting arm. Some space is probably clear behind the driftwood arm for the celery top plant??

You could also search for inspiration here Tropica Aquarium Plants - Layouts

Old scales pointed me towards this site on his rescape thread. The layouts link has loads of different images to inspire you. You may also have to click on the small flag up the top left to change the text to English.

I like to build levels in my tank by using stones as walls to pile substrate higher in different areas. If you decide to do a complete rescape it may be something to consider. The plan is to be able to use a lot of Crypts that grow to similar heights, but stagger the way they are planted by having each type planted in a different tier. My 20g tanks make it a little hard to do with limited floor space. 36g started out very promisingly but the plants were destroyed by my Comets.

Anyway it's already a nice looking tank keep us posted with however you decide to rescape.

Thanks for the input everyone. I ll check out that site. Will def post a pic once I ve changed it.

Thanks Brookster! Once the celery type plant gets big & the Lily ( it s just to the left & in front of celery guy), I ll post another pic.
Got that DW at the Wet Spot, they have great peices there.
My Cory s aren t happy tho, they always chill under it & I think the rock is freaking them out. Hopefully they ll go back eventually.

Already moved that little green plant,that s in front of the intake, to the far left front corner. What do you think of me moving that rock with the Java on top to in front of the filter intake?
Thinking OS is just impressed beyond words at my plant name expertise right now. My friend at the LFS just throws them in with fish & I get a little surprise when I get home .

LOL I'm impressed! Not sure what the plant is unless you do a close up of it. For now, we can call it Celerilooklikus mystericus. Works for me! OS.

Rescape looks much better. My only suggestion moving forward is to get some ground cover for the front left side. You have alot of open area and low ground cover shouldnt distract from the way you have rescaped.

Love it! It gets maybe 8 inches tall & kinda spreads out. There was an 'adult' at the fish store .I can ask the name, but like yours.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393208927.696243.jpg

Thanks Fishjihad, nice to get feedback. There s actually three small plants there that should fill it in, will take awhile tho.

I "think" it's a small sprout of Hygrophilia difformis (Water Wisteria). Good plant, medium light, easy to grow, good nitrate absorber. OS.

Back
Top Bottom