What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
This anubius is getting a bit large for the 29g tank. It has been throwing roots and leaves every place. There are a few sprouts near the growing end that do not look like roots or leaves. Could they be new risomes starting?

Can I just cut the main risome and make two or more plants out of it?

Should I wait for these little spikes to grow out and see what happens?

img_789290_0_05b2a0e4895b1f2a1267e7ea499a8c01.jpg

img_789290_1_31eb6624e99ce673ebb2739721cf31fb.jpg

img_789290_2_cbf6cceafbe7fca799ef24304ee33fc6.jpg

It looks very healthy, sparky. I think you can use you judgement and cut the rhizome. You might try using some kind of plant bandage on the cut end, like used in bonsai.

I know if you cut a tuber in half (potato) and plant both halves, the cuts will heal and the tuber will send new sprouts from the eyes. I believe a rhizome will do the same. I would certainly cut below the substrate if the rhizome is completely buried.

However, I haven't tried cutting a aqua plant rhizome.

I used to cut mine only when they got to be over 3". And those "spikey" things may develop into a split in the rhizome (like a Y) But I would let it go for a while.

When it gets time to cut it, just snip it in half using sharp scissors (it's very tough to cut and you don't want to saw through it..)

Ok, if there is a chance that they spikes will turn out to be a new rhisome, I will wait.

The current rhisome is over 5 inches at present. Maybe if it's starting to make new splits, I can keep it as a mother plant and use it to produce new plants?

Back
Top Bottom