Whats the best way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's the best way to rid of snails when buying plants? Our lps has a nice stock of plants but there are a lot of snails on them. I personally don't want a snails in my tank, a few, sure, but then I read that they duplicate like crazy. :p

You can rinse them real well in tap and do a quick 3% solution hydrogen peroxide dip.

FYI: not all snails are bad... Malaysian trumpet snails (mts) for example....which are commonly found on plants.

You can rinse them real well in tap and do a quick 3% solution hydrogen peroxide dip.

FYI: not all snails are bad... Malaysian trumpet snails (mts) for example....which are commonly found on plants.

Where can I buy that solution?

I just don't want to be overwhelmed by snails, especially since my tank is smaller and I don't have a clue on how to care for them or what they do in tanks. It's more of a "better safe than sorry" thing because I'm quite new to the hobby.

Where can I buy that solution?

I just don't want to be overwhelmed by snails, especially since my tank is smaller and I don't have a clue on how to care for them or what they do in tanks. It's more of a "better safe than sorry" thing because I'm quite new to the hobby.

Personally I agree with Brain and keep MTS in my tanks, as long as you don't over feed they won't overwhelm the tank, but they help by eating dead plant matter. I know Rivercats suggests wrapping the plants in papertowls and drenching them with the 3% hydrogen peroxide solution which can be found at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc... Then just put the plants directly in the tank after about 20mins of soaking. Do not rinse them though.

Personally I agree with Brain and keep MTS in my tanks, as long as you don't over feed they won't overwhelm the tank, but they help by eating dead plant matter. I know Rivercats suggests wrapping the plants in papertowls and drenching them with the 3% hydrogen peroxide solution which can be found at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc... Then just put the plants directly in the tank after about 20mins of soaking. Do not rinse them though.

About the snails, is it true that they breed quickly? Because I'm afraid of them taking over the tank. Haha :p

Generally they only breed to the amount of food that's available to them. Snails are beneficial to any tank as they help clean up dead plant matter and uneaten food.

You can do a dip in 3% hydrogen peroxide which can be found at lots of stores like walmart. Some plants such as mosses MAY not tolerate it, but most plants will.

Back
Top Bottom