Whats the secret?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well the 29 has been up since a little after Thanksgiving. I have only lost one fish (german blue ) due to pop-eye, other than that everything's good...
well the plants are doing pretty good, but they dont seem to be growing fast... or hardly at all :mad:
they all seem to be pretty healthy, all nice and green (except for cabomba, that is just one of those plants that done like me :( stinks cause I love it)
anyways specs are
29gall
renafilstar xp1 (looking to add another filter...)
50-165gph water pump for circulation
200watt neptune heater
65watt, 10,000k CF
18watt, 10,000k T5
18watt, anctic T5 (for looks, I know it does not help the plants any)
eco complete
I dose Flourish and Flourish excel, though I dont have a "schedule" so I need help with that
It was recommended that I use some dry, greg watson macro/micro nutrients stuff, but I have to order that online, and currently, im broke :rolleyes:
so in the meantime, can someone help me with dosing chart?

oh ya... plants are

unidentified sword I got today, (I lost my awesome plant book :( so I will post a picture later for help)
broadleaf ludwigia
anarchis
red tiger lotus
java moss (this stuff is a pain... it hold any and all debries :rolleyes:)
java fern
camomba
crypt. wendtii
oh and some algae one my wood that keeps pearling :mad: LOL)

Thanks for the help!

Well slow growth is often a sign of low nitrates. Have you tested them? I got the same problem when I got Hygrophila Difformis, Wisteria. The Wisteria was taking up the nitrates about as fast as my fish could make them, reading went from 15-20 to 0 in about 2 weeks. When I started dosing nitrates regularly most of plants started growing much better. Root tabs will help the sword and all the plants that have large root systems especially the crypts.

That would make sence... as I only have a small number of fish in there! I will test it. Thanks for the advice!

As a 29g tall, with the lights you listed, it is not really high light. Medium, maybe less depending on placement, bulb age, reflector type and cleanliness..etc. So all things considered, "fast growth" should probably not be expected from anything in there.

Excel can be a nice supplement, but it does not replace CO2 injection for promoting superior growth. Also, excel does not stay in the water very long. So if it is the only carbon source it needs regular dosing (every other day?)

Lastly, limiting any single nutrient will stall plant growth. The tank could be short Nitrates, Phosphates, or Potassium. Could also be short things like calcium, or magnesium, depending on tap water and frequency of water change. Flourish (comprehensive) is a good micro nutrient mix, but it does not provide everything that plants need. I usually use it in combination with Equilibrium. Then macros as needed based on bioload, water changes and lighting.

edit: btw, Greg Watson's (aquariumfertilizor.com) is a great source. But you can also buy macros cheaply at the local hardware and grocery stores (stump remover, fleet enema, water softener pellets etc.).

I fully agree with Zezmo. :) I was going to post almost the same thing until I saw his post.

Macro nutrients and carbon are lacking in your setup and even those won't make Java fern and Crypts grow too much faster, but it will help.

Its my experience that Ludwigia repens needs more light than you have. It also grows much nicer (as do almost all plants) with CO2 injection. Anacharis is sensitive to Flourish Excel, so it may die back if you dose that regularly. Java fern, Crypts, Tiger Lotus, and Swords are all slow growers, even in higher light.

One note on the Cabomba: it does very well in soft water and a slightly acidic substrate. If your water is on the hard side and/or your substrate is in any way alkaline buffered (Eco-Complete is slightly alkaline) it can rebel. I've grown it in Eco-Complete with mixed results but have found that it thrives in Aquasoil because it is slightly acidic. You can soften your water by placing a small mesh bag containing peat (available at most garden centers) in your canister filter. It can do wonders for certain species of plants.

oh thanks for all the awesome posts! (would have posted sooner but we had a storm and lost internet for a day ugg).
I will start working on getting my micro/macro nutrients in their! I will prob. have to order some stuff but thats fine!
Thanks again

Macro's have pretty much been spoken for.

You asked about a dosing schedule, so here is the one a lot of plant owners use:

"The Estimative Index (EI) is a straightforward method for providing nutrients for a planted tank. The idea behind EI is simply introducing an excess amount of nutrients within an aquarium, throughout the week. This excess of nutrients floods the water column and feeds the plants. This is an estimative method; measuring specific nutrient uptake rates is not necessary and no test kits are involved. EI provides a surplus of nutrients that helps to prevents plant deficiencies, and allows plant growth unhendered. Most algae releated issues are due to plant deficiencies rather than excess nutrient levels(Ammonium/NH4 + is the exception).
Basically you add a slight excess of nutrients to prevent anything from running out, then do a large water change at the end of the week to prevent anything from building up. This allows you to maintain a range of nutrients without ever using a test kit.
The water change generally takes about the same amount of time once you haul out the hoses etc do the water change so the time and work difference between a 25 % and 50% water change is fairly small.
The process of which this is done is simple. Each day (or 2-3x a week, weekly for low light tanks) fertilizers are dosed, and the nutrients are absorbed by the plants. With this method being estimative, we can dose fertilizers according to general guidelines suited for our particular setup (see below for regime). At the end of the week, one performs a 50% water change to ‘reset’ the nutrient load in the entire system. And then the entire dosing regime is repeated. The hobbyists can do larger(which will afford more accuracy) or smaller water change routines, but 50% is just guide line.
The primary fertilizers are the macro nutrients - Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), Potassium (K), and the micro nutrients – trace elements (Plantex CSM+B, Flourish, Tropica Master Grow-TMG). Iron (Fe) can also be supplemented if necessary.
The Estimative Index method works best for a high light and well planted aquarium. However it is not limited to higher light setups, smaller quantities of fertilizers can be dosed if low light is used. Also, the frequency may be reduced to 1-2x a week at low light(1.5-2w/gal).
General Dosing Guideline for High Light and well planted aquariums.
10- 20 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/8 tsp KNO3 (N) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 (P) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp K2SO4 (K) 3x a week
+/- 1/32 tsp (2ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

20-40 Gallon Aquariums
+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

60 – 80 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 3/4 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 3/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/4 tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- ¼ tsp (15ml) Trace 3x a week
50% weekly water change

100 - 125 Gallon Aquarium
+/- 1 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp K2S04 3x a week
+/- ½ tsp (30ml) Trace 3x a week
50% weekly water change
Example Dosing Regime for 29 Gallon:
See attached file.

CSM+B Plantex or Tropica Plant Nutrition Liquid (TMG) or Flourish Comprehensive
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3)
Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2P04)
Potassium Sulfate (K2S04)

EI target ranges
CO2 range 20-30 ppm
NO3 range 5-30 ppm
K+ range 10-30 ppm
PO4 range 1.0-2.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher
GH range 3-5 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher
KH range 3-5
See dosing calculators for additional dosing guides for Fe, etc.
Where to buy fertilizers?
www.gregwatson.com can provide you with the necessary chemicals for dry and liquid dosing of the above. For micro - trace elements, Plantex CSM+B, Seachem Flourish, and Tropica Master Grow (TMG) are equivalent to each other. www.bigalsonline.com for the Seachem and TMG brands.
1 lb of each for Greg Watson Chemicals will last at least 1 year:

Special Notes:
Providing optimal CO2 levels of at least 30 ppm are necessary for plants to prosper. If algae issue arise, remove all visible algae and infected leaves. Recheck CO2 levels, and possibly reduce and adjust the lighting period.
Direct dry dosing into the tank is perfectly fine. Many dose straight into, or they dissolve each daily amounts in water before adding. Plantex CSM+B is often mixed into solution for liquid dosing. 1 tablespoon to 250ml water is equivalent to: 20 ml = 1/4 teaspoon of dry Plantex. This solution is stored in refrigerators to prevent mold from forming within the container. HCL can be added to prevent the mold.
Small dosing teaspoons (smidgen, dash, pinch) can be found at Linen & Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, Wal-Mart, dollar stores, eBay and other online retailers. To identify the specific measurements of your smidgen, dash, pinch set, a 1/8 tsp should fill a ¼ tsp in 2 tries, 1/16 tsp in 4 tries, and a 1/32 tsp in 8 tries.

Sticking to a good dosing regime will make your plants flourish, and keep you delighted! If you seek more in depth discussion about EI, there are two other articles here.
John N and Tom Barr"

You can read more about it @ www.barrreport.com .

FYI, www.rexgrigg.com also sells the macro's. http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/ferts.html

Back
Top Bottom