What's this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollinghills

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know what this hitchhiker is? It's pretty small right now. Those are pool filter sand in the picture for comparison. I'm thinking about putting it in the tank. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 55
Your Plant

Hello rolling...

In my non professional plant ID opinion, it looks very much like a small fern, possibly Java fern. If you want the scientific name, it's Microsorum pteropus.

Try attaching it to a small piece of driftwood with some dark sewing thread and let the wood float or you can weigh the piece down with some rocks. I think Java fern grows better attached to driftwood than lava rock, but that's me. Attached is a pic of an experimental tank I use to grow plants using different liquid ferts. I have some Java fern floating in this 45 G.

B

Thanks, the fork shape of the leaves throwing me off. Have you seen them like that before?

Your fern plant

Good morning rolling...

There are several different varieties of Java fern and those I've kept grow differently depending on the tank conditions. Most aquatic plants grow like that, there's just no way to duplicate tank conditions. Guess that's another one of the interesting things about this hobby.

I've gotten interested in growing low light plants as much as keeping the fish. I just have low light, low tech (no CO2) tanks and play around with liquid fertilizers to see what plants I can grow. The plants are as interesting as the fish.

Let me know how your fern does.

B

Back
Top Bottom