Whats up with my DHG?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexgcraig

Aquarium Advice Regular
I planted this DHG about 2 weeks ago and it's almost reaching the top of my 20" high 55g, carpet plant eh?? None of the other plants have been growing like this!

I have high light Iwagumi 7000 LED BML running at @75% on the dimmer. dosing Flourish + Excel as directed, (dry ferts just arrived in the mail)

I'm happy to keep trimming back to my preferred level, just wanted to make sure this was normal! The photos below are not great, behind the DHG are some vals, they're about the same height here.

Thanks for any feedback/advice!

Attachments

• image-866914128.jpg
    image-866914128.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2109634835.jpg
    image-2109634835.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image-318097723.jpg
    image-318097723.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 109
Yeah it can get pretty tall :lol: There are different types of DHG, though. Also - maybe you have regular hair grass, instead of dwarf.

There are three species of eleocharis commonly sold as "dwarf" hairgrass: 'belem', which usually stays below 2"; parvula, which generally is about 2-4" but can grow taller if not cut regularly; and acicularis, which can easily get to 6" and beyond. There are even taller species that sometimes can be found (vivipara and montevidensis).

Do you happen to still have the label that came with the plant?

Thanks for your feedback, i got it from Peabody's Paradise, they just emailed back saying they think it was acicularis... i'll try to go find some belem! thanks!

You'll have to get belem from other hobbyists, as I don't think anyone's growing it commercially yet. Parvula wouldn't be horrible in a 55g, as it has the height to accommodate a slightly taller foreground. It will also be much cheaper, easier to find, and you'll be able to buy more of it.

Back
Top Bottom