Whats wrong with my Anubias?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need to attach the Anubias to a driftwood or rock if u plant them in the substrate they will die, also the plant next to the Anubia is a java fern?? Java fern needs to be attached 2

Sent from my 801EM using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, therefore the roots have to be visible or under the substrate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello matt...

It appears you've covered the rhisome, the thick part of the plant that connects the stems to the plant. Anubias should be on top of the substrate attached to a piece of driftwood or lava rock. It simply sits on the bottom material and the roots grow into it.

B

You can definitely plant an anubias in the substrate. You MUST not plant the rhizome though.

Anubias plants are most commonly attached to rock or driftwood as mentioned.

If you dont want the hassle just gently lift yours up out of the substrate by an inch or so

I have to disagree. I have anubia planted in sand substrate and it grows like a weed with zero ferts. However, I cannot visualize from your picture if the rhizome is buried. That must be above your substrate for the plant to survive. Here is mine to show you.
avygedes.jpg
See how the roots are feeding off the rhizome into the sand? Of course, its always going to be easier to tie it to a rock or driftwood with fishing line. I just didn't have room for that in this 5g tank. It thrives just like it is.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400076716.808810.jpgbetter pic. What do u think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I would raise it until only the roots are covered. How does the rhizome look? Intact? Not rotten? If so, it'll bounce back. They are a slower growing plant, so give it time to heal. How are your nitrate levels btw?

Those java ferns next to it may need to be adjusted or relocated too, but if they look healthy you're ok.

Back
Top Bottom