Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

When do you add the ferts after a water change when using EI

In other words, if you do your 50% water change on Sunday, do you add the fertilizers on the same day or wait until Monday? I know this is minor, but I just want to set up a schedule so I can follow it easily. What schedule do you follow?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I personally dose the same day but after ~3hrs to leave some time for the fish to settle down.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure there is a real answer to this. I choose not to dose the day of my water change. It's doubtful that you will do any harm with what ever you decide.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I've tried both and I have achieved the same results. Some prefer to dose the macros on water change day however since those are the most depleted.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
I toss in the macros as the water is filling up.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I dump mine in as I am refilling the tanks. I like the one day off on Saturday with no dosing or anything needed.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to David14259
If I do my water change in the morning, then I'll dose ferts right after the water change. If its more towards night, I'll pick up dosing the next day.

I doubt it matters too much.

My Tank: 20 Gallon Freshwater High Tech Planted
My Plants: Dwarf Sagittaria, Riccia, Crypt Lutea, Rotala Macandra, Corkscrew Val, Blyxa Japonica, Ambulia, Anubias Nana, Flame Moss, Christmas Moss, Echinodorus Parviflorus.
My Fish: 1 German Gold Ram, 3 Praecox Rainbows, 1 Otocinclus Catfish, 1 Siamese Algae Eater, 1 Rummynose Tetra, 4 Cherry Barbs
My Inverts: Ramshorn Snails, Apple Snails.
David14259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also dose my macros with the water change (I still use buckets--so just throw the dry ferts in to dissolved)...it makes sense to me that if you're taking out ~40-50% of the water you're likely taking out a fair amount of ferts too (plus I don't dose the day before)...but I've never tried otherwise so I don't know if it truly makes a difference.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Generally I go ahead and dose the ferts right after the water change to ensure that nothing bottoms out.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
I also dose right after the PWC. I fear that running the tank after dosing the previous day and then running the rest of the day with only 50% of what was left, will cause problems in my tanks. I have seen some of my plants stunt because of low Macros.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also dose macros right after water change. I enjoy the schedule because that way my scheduled down day is Saturday and I can just enjoy the tanks that day and not have to worry about them. Sunday is water change day and start all over.

drobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I also add my macros right after a water change. I used to sometimes wait until the next day to add macros if I did a water change later at night, but then I read somewhere that plants can still use some macros in the dark. So now I add the macros right after the water change, no matter what time of day, and it's also easier to remember that way if it's part of the routine on water change day.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I like to do the water changes right as the lights have come on for 1 hr or so, then do a large water change, then refill and add the ferts.

You can try dosing the Traces, or the macros that first day right after.
You really should not see that much difference with a day difference in dosing.

That's because the plants have not been limited for the entire week(they are fat and happy).

Some folks took an old suggestion, called "mega dosing" and used it for contest tanks right before they wanted to do the photo.

They'd dose 2x the suggested amounts the day before a water change , then do 60-80%.
Dose Traces that day of the water, early in the light cycle and then take the photo etc at night or go till next week etc.

Up to you.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
change, fert, ferts, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com