When to say die...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After having some of my swords turn oak leaf brown, I left them for two weeks to see if they would come back as I was cycling this tank. After seeing no improvement, I pulled them up. I noticed they all had a new root which reached deep. What were the chances of them coming back at this point? How long do plants sometimes look totally dead before they bounce back? Is this common for swords?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My swords have made some pretty impressive recoveries. One time I put mine in a weak bleach solution to kill algae and forgot about it. All the leaves died and fell off. so i planted the root ball and it grew back! Actually, since then, I've split the plant into 3 pieces, all doing well in my tank.

Often times if there is a good healthy root system swords will grow new leaves. All bad leaves need to be cut off and they need to have root tabs provided every few weeks as they are heavy root feeders. What you don't want to do is constantly disturb their root systems.

I never saw new leaves. Otherwise I would have left well enough alone. When I pulled them up, how can I tell for sure if my roots are any good?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I guess gray is dead. Time to say die...

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom