Which CF bulbs for FW plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I setup a 40 G Long tank (48") that has been sitting in my garage for months.

I decided to set it up as a new home for my Angelfish and need to buy myself some new 65 watt compact flouresent bulbs for my Coralife fixture.

I have no idea about freshwater plants but intend to learn and would like to know what bulbs would best suit this tank.

I have found some CFs on eBay that are really cheap, and thats great for me on my college student budget!

Here is the link to the bulbs I have found...

65 Watt Power Compact Straight Pin SPECIALTY BULBS | eBay

They offer a selection of combinations, I am leaning towards the "Plant Grow" and 10,000k combo.

Is this the best choice from what they offer? My tank is very shallow (16" guessing) and I intend to get some low-medium light plants within a few months once it has cycled and my wallet has recovered!

Any help would be great!

Tom

My preference would be for 2 5000K or 1 5000K and one 6500K. You will likely get better colour rendering than with a 10,000K. Bulbs the info on this page may help illustrate that, and offer some info you find pertinent to your situation. Regardless, you will have a lot of light, perhaps too much to do without CO2.

Thanks for all the replies! I am going to get 1 5200k and 1 6700k. And no doubt I will end up getting co2.

Back
Top Bottom