Which is easier, Control Algae or Prevent It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36G freshwater lightly stocked at the moment. I will be turning the tank into a planted tank as well, though I want to wait to be more stocked, which I'm working on. For various reasons, I'm hooking up dual bulb T5HO tomorrow, likely a month or 2 before I get plants in there. (24 inches above substrate, 4 inches from water level) (I have LED now which I need to return before return period, and had already bough the dual bulb T5HO). I'm prepared to invest in pressurized CO2 if I have to. However, do you think its a better idea to get CO2 now before I get a potential algae problem, or only if I get an algae problem?

Is it harder to control an existing algae problem or prevent one from happening in the first place?

Controlling Algae

I have a 36G freshwater lightly stocked at the moment. I will be turning the tank into a planted tank as well, though I want to wait to be more stocked, which I'm working on. For various reasons, I'm hooking up dual bulb T5HO tomorrow, likely a month or 2 before I get plants in there. (24 inches above substrate, 4 inches from water level) (I have LED now which I need to return before return period, and had already bough the dual bulb T5HO). I'm prepared to invest in pressurized CO2 if I have to. However, do you think its a better idea to get CO2 now before I get a potential algae problem, or only if I get an algae problem?

Is it harder to control an existing algae problem or prevent one from happening in the first place?

Hello fish...

Control the amount of phosphate and nitrate in the water and you'll control the growth of most kinds of algae. Limit the flaked, high phosphate food and change half the tank water at least every couple of weeks, weekly is even better. This will keep the water properties stable with lower nitrates.

B

Back
Top Bottom