Which light should I choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
What wattage lighting should I have for my 10 gallon?no CO2

Mid to high light plants
They are growing well in stock light but the light is burning out and need a new fixture.It is a double bulb.

It's a screw in hood fixture with plastic guards.Two bulbs.Not sure if I answered the question,sorry

What wattage lighting should I have for my 10 gallon?no CO2

If you want a cheaper fixture with high lighting plants, I say to build your own! I personally am getting a brooder lamp with a 5000k bulb, 14 watts, and several have said that it bumps me up to medium-high lighting! (Of course mine is a 2.5, you would have to get a large lamp, and a 26 watt 6,500k bulb. But that should be no more than $20.00. You can get both the bulb and the lamp at Walmart.)

If you wanted less bulky, more appeasing to the eye things, you can pay as little as $70.00 for a dual-bulb T5 HO fixture. I hear it works great, but isn't that cost-efficient...

Two 10-13w CFL's will grow about anything you want without having to have co2 injection. Walmart pet sections usually have the 10 watt (I think its 10w anyways) U shaped CFL's that work great... but the curly daylight bulbs for everyday home use work ok as well.

Just get some full spectrum screw in CFL bulbs. The ones in the fish section at walmart work well, or you can get them from most big box LPS.

The regular spiral CFLs work also, but you may have trouble fitting them in there with the plastic guards because the higher wattage ones are kinda wide.

mohican said:
Oh geez, another lighting - lets bicker over wavelength vs full spectrum vs "k" value vs HO vs CFL vs DIY vs does this work for my tank question. Sorry, but this site has loads of lighting threads, check one of them out. Sorry to crush ur thread, I'm really not a mean person.

^Ragedump. Hey, none if your issues are being argued in this thread. Not one. Lots of good advise is being given. Everyone seems to be in agreement.

mohican said:
Oh geez, another lighting - lets bicker over wavelength vs full spectrum vs "k" value vs HO vs CFL vs DIY vs does this work for my tank question. Sorry, but this site has loads of lighting threads, check one of them out. Sorry to crush ur thread, I'm really not a mean person.

No it's fine

Back
Top Bottom