Which plants should I start with? (eBay)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to start turning my 26g into a planted tank. I am going to get a spray bar for my canister, remove the HOB filter, and change my substrate out for a finer natural gravel. No sand for me currently.

After looking around for plants to start with, I came across a seller on eBay with many plants and plant combos at a really good price. Locally, plants are $3-4 each, 8 Anacharis is only $5.29 from eBay.

The seller's auctions can be found here:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...rid=tycom-1&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

If anyone wants to look through those and give me a good place to start, that would be great. Or even just reccomend me some plants for my setup, and I can go through the combos and try to find one with those plants in it. Thanks.

They look like good prices grimlock. I'll also suggest you go to aquabid.com. I've been buying from a seller there under the name of "Lowcoaster". I've been very very happy with the plants he's sold me :)

Oh, you can email him direct and not have to wait for the bid to end either.

Hmm, I would suggest hornwort to start. This stuff takes over the tank! It is a floater, but can be 'planted' and it will look like a stem plant even though it will not grow roots. Some say it absorbs all the excess nutrients in the tank and helps control algae. I'm not so sure about that claim, but, it is an easy plant.

The bulb plants are easy and rewarding (Aponogeton).

Cryptocoryne plants, Anubias, and Wisteria can be great too. Red Ludwegia (broad leaf) is excellent, and rotala indica.

I love the java moss and fern. They are so easy to take care of and the moss makes a great carpet on the bottom of the tank.

How much light will you have?

If you go with Java fern, I would suggest the lace java fern -- that is a much prettier plant.

Hornwort can take over a tank with little encouragement. I use the excess from my planted tanks as a floater in my goldfish tank - they munch on it, and it really does help control ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

"How much light will you have?"

65 watts for the tank.

I will check out aquabid too. I need to get my spray bar in and redo the substrate in my tank, then I can order the plants.

grimlock, i bought my plants from tycom-1. they are a GREAT price... the plants are small when you get them, but since i'm a beginner, they're great fo rme. my tank will turn into a JUNGLE in a few weeks, i'm sure of it!

With 65 watts over your tank I think you will be successful with pretty much any plant you desire except the really high light plants.

The plants I suggested would be nice to start with to get a feel for what you will ultimately want. Other choices are: Valisnerias (corkscrew is pretty), chain swords (amazon swords won't be as fulfilling because they get BIG), Lugwigia Repens (narrow leaf but not needle leaf) is a beautiful plant, but see that you get the one with the more long-ish pointy leaves -- I have one that is a beautiful maroon/burgundy color. Ludwigia glandulosa, ( peruensis ) another pretty red plant.

Back
Top Bottom