Which RO/DI Unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking at RO/DI units and I'm pretty confused. What should I look for? A higher GPH rate? It will be for planted tanks, but specifically shrimp that require a softer water/lower pH. also, how would I hook this up? I can't hook it up directly, so it would have to be through a faucet, is this possible? Thanks!!

If it is for FW and you have no plans to go salt I'd save some money and just go with a RO unit but that's just me..as for the gpd most will be at 75gpd..the higher numbers will require more psi which in a lot of cases means buying a booster pump which can get pricey so it depends on your water needs...lastly you can hook them into a hose, faucet, or directly into the plumbing you just need to order the correct pieces for it which id say get all 3 so you have options

zach_1_6 said:
why are you using the ro/di unit for planted tanks? just curious.

It's actually only for shrimp, like CRS and CBS who require lower pH and a softer water to breed:)

It's actually only for shrimp, like CRS and CBS who require lower pH and a softer water to breed:)

okay because i have had a bad experience with using RO water on my planted tank, i had countless deficiencies lol but if you keep up with ferts you should be fine :)

Mrc8858 said:
If it is for FW and you have no plans to go salt I'd save some money and just go with a RO unit but that's just me..as for the gpd most will be at 75gpd..the higher numbers will require more psi which in a lot of cases means buying a booster pump which can get pricey so it depends on your water needs...lastly you can hook them into a hose, faucet, or directly into the plumbing you just need to order the correct pieces for it which id say get all 3 so you have options

Well, to be honest a 40B SW tank is in my near future;) haha sorry if this is a stupid question but what does GPD stand for? Gallons per day? Do you have one that you would recommend? Thank you!!

Brs (bulk reef supply)offers good deals on RO and rodi units even chloramine models especially if you jump on a group buy which one is currently going on right now..if you search for brs group buy ask Carey if its to late to add you if your ready to buy...your correct on gpd

zach_1_6 said:
okay because i have had a bad experience with using RO water on my planted tank, i had countless deficiencies lol but if you keep up with ferts you should be fine :)

Yeah, the water is pure. I am planning to use Seachems Equilibrium, but I'm absolutely tying to stay away from ferts with this tank, as it will be low light with moss and crypts and such :) thank you for the tip!

I just use the 4 stage economy RO/DI from them and get great water for my reef but the best deal imo is the 5 stage plus rodi which during the group buy is $180 with free shipping

Mrc8858 said:
Brs (bulk reef supply)offers good deals on RO and rodi units even chloramine models especially if you jump on a group buy which one is currently going on right now..if you search for brs group buy ask Carey if its to late to add you if your ready to buy...your correct on gpd

Ok, thank you!

Cleverbs is looking for a couple more people to start his group buy as we speak actually

Mrc8858 said:
I just use the 4 stage economy RO/DI from them and get great water for my reef but the best deal imo is the 5 stage plus rodi which during the group buy is $180 with free shipping

I'll check that one out, but I'm pretty sure I'll go with that one!:)

Just remember if the SW is far in the future there units are modular so if you get the basic RO you can buy the canister to upgrade into whatever even a 6 stage dual Di with all the bells and whistles...just depends on your budget lol :)

Mrc8858 said:
Just remember if the SW is far in the future there units are modular so if you get the basic RO you can buy the canister to upgrade into whatever even a 6 stage dual Di with all the bells and whistles...just depends on your budget lol :)

Oh wow! I didn't know that! During summer break is when I plan to start, so I might as well get everything right now. So, even if I go with the 5 stage 75GPD unit, I can still upgrade it?

Well the 5 stage is just missing the dual deionization (has single canister) so that's the only true difference but then there are tds meters, pressure guages, auto shut offs, etc but as far as filtration goes its pretty much the more you want the more canisters you add...your final goal though is just TDS at 0 so don't waste your money if you don't have to some peoples waters are worse then others so obviously more filtration is needed

Mrc8858 said:
Well the 5 stage is just missing the dual deionization (has single canister) so that's the only true difference but then there are tds meters, pressure guages, auto shut offs, etc but as far as filtration goes its pretty much the more you want the more canisters you add...your final goal though is just TDS at 0 so don't waste your money if you don't have to some peoples waters are worse then others so obviously more filtration is needed

Ok, got it! Once again thank you for all your help! I also think im going to get the auto shutoff for my 5G buckets lol

Ya I flooded my bathroom floor once so now I fill in my tub just Incase the auto shut off is top of the list now haha

No problem though that's what we are here for :)..nice to see a place where the majority of the people are looking to help instead of get the best of you like you see all over : /

Mrc8858 said:
Ya I flooded my bathroom floor once so now I fill in my tub just Incase the auto shut off is top of the list now haha

No problem though that's what we are here for :)..nice to see a place where the majority of the people are looking to help instead of get the best of you like you see all over : /

That sucks! Sorry to hear lol

Yeah, that's true!! That's exactly why I love AA!:)

Back
Top Bottom