Which tank? Returning to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking into a long frame-less low iron aquarium/brand that has a good reputation. I am well aware of ADA and DO!Aqua however before I "justify" those prices I wanted to know from the real pro's in the field if there are alternative choices within the US.

I am getting back into aquariums from a very long break and have never gone into the planted tank arena. My goal is remake "Crimson Sky" at a greater depth and at a more feasible price. Any help in ideas for my build would be greatly appreciated!

Attached "Crimson Sky" below for those not familiar.

Attachments

• tumblr_ms7e21BX1D1rhc6xpo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ms7e21BX1D1rhc6xpo1_1280.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 142
Chris at pico aquariums will make you what ever sized tank you want

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The only two tanks, to my knowledge, that will be suitable to emulate something like James Findley's aquascape is the ADA 60F or a Mr. Aqua 12g Long (Unless you get a custom tank made). Although both tanks will be much smaller as I believe crimson sky was scaped in a 120F. But if your do your homework and learn to master scale, size doesn't matter all that much and you can make a small tank look huge.

It was done in a 120 however that specific model and the stand to go along with it have been discontinued oddly enough. So that tosses a kink into things unless i scrap the petrified stone (need to find a place that sells it to pick the right pieces) from emerging from the water and the moss.

Again thank you to everyone for the words of advice.

Interesting thread and amazing tank. Nice to see someone else who liked Crimson Sky! I thought I could move past the 120f but with seeing your 60f ... Only reenforces my original idea!

Rescape that puppy and post some pictures already!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Making note here for my build as starting to buy the hardware for the stand. Any advice or improvements are welcomed!

Tank: ADA 120p or 90p
Stand/light brace: DIY (Planted Aquarium Tank Articles - How To Build an ADA Style Aquarium Stand - Project Aquarium)
Lighting: USA Satellite Freshwater LED Plus (x2)
Heater: Hydor ETH In-Line Heater
Filtration: EHEIM classic 150
Intake/Outake: ADA Glassware
cO2: Paintball/homedepot rig
cO2 Glassware: ADA Pollen Glass Beetle & ADA Drop Checker
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Powder & Additives

Check out post #365 (page 37) by AlanLe. Excellent example of a 120p + (2x) Ecoxotic E-Series. If you want to go big, I think this will be a great tank to emulate in terms of equipment, especially with the lighting. There's a light hanging kit from ecoxotic for the e-Series to hold dual fixtures. Then you can create something like crimson sky because they essentially have the same footprint.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=678801

Edit:
Actually, start on post #334.. You can view a good way to hang the lighting.

Last edited:
I am certainly going to go the route of the custom lighting rig in combination with the EcoXotic equipment. However looking into the Co2 system that Alan and others have built.... going to need to start reading up on custom systems to fully understand those shiny rigs. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for the advice Brian!

Back
Top Bottom