white cloud minnows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kent2991

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 75g planted tank all the fish i have are compatable with the minnows but i have 2 jewel cichlids there relativly peaceful for the most part they dont pick at the fish its a community tank, i had guppies in the tank for along time they never died off and were never picked at. i was wondering if the minnows would be just as fine as the guppies were? (guppies are no longer in the tank just got tierd of them breeding)

Although minnows usually require cooler temperatures from 18-23 degrees you can keep them warmer (not recommended however).

From your question, I have kept both together before and even though minnows are the same size as guppies give or take they are a lot quicker, these guys can fly around the tank.
So based on that, the they ever had a problem with the cichlids then I'm sure they would be able to get away.
Plus they have now large tales to nip at.
Someone else on here may offer a different view but from what I have seen from keeping them both, minnows are better equipped IMO to get away, and they are also good at keeping a low profile in the tank when needed.

Personally I think minnows are a great fish to keep, get 7 or more and they are excellent to watch and hardy. I have kept them for 2 years now and they are just excellent little things and are not shy to come to the front of the tank to say hello!
If you do get any make sure you get some bloodworm as good, they go mad for it!

Back
Top Bottom