White cloudy web-like material covering plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLuckyRoll

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I have gotten some great advice from this forum in the past and i hope to get some more today! I have a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium with a few tetras, octos, and two barbs. Lately I have noticed the plants that I have in there are getting white stuff growng on the ends that the octos can't land on. Does anyone have any idea what this substance is and how to treat it? It is on some other part s of the live plants but not as bad as on the areas that the octos can't land on to eat.

If it's what I think it is ... you often see them on new DW. I had it on mine, it was harmless and eventually went away. Some fish ... like my RTS ... had a field day eating it.

jcolon said:
If it's what I think it is ... you often see them on new DW. I had it on mine, it was harmless and eventually went away. Some fish ... like my RTS ... had a field day eating it.

I am not familiar with the abbreviations you used, dw and rts?

Its just sap and other materials leaching from the wood and is a feeding a form of algae. Wont do any harm to your tank and should clear up once all the sap has eventually gone :)

Back
Top Bottom