White Mold Growing on Sumatra Wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this piece of wood for a few weeks, but the last 2 weeks its started to grow a white mold, that looks a bit like smoke, if that makes sense. Here's a picture of what it looks like, the picture is not mine.

http://www.glennschaeffer.com/aquarium/fungus.jpg

I've scrubbed it off with a toothbrush and within a few hours its back.

Any ideas what it is? Is it harmful?

I have had this on some driftwood before... I don't know what it is or why it grows. Based on my experience it isn't harmful and eventually it will stop growing (that is just my experience non of it is actual fact)

I've also had it grow on my driftwood.

From what I gathered from researching it, it is thought to be a colony of bacteria that feeds off of nutrients from the wood, or something along those lines. It is harmless, and although you could take the wood out and scrub it or dab it with alcohol and rinse it, it is better to just let it run it's course and die off in a few weeks.

Both are good advice. It's a random occurrence with any type of driftwood. It usually lasts a week or two and goes away on its own. Try using a small hose to just suck it out as you do a water change

Ivehad the exact same problem, I just took it out and ran it under Hot tap water and after a few weeks it all went away or atleast to where it was not noticable anymore. From what I read it has something to do with the tannins in the wood and is not harmfull but can take some time to dissapear completely.

:)

Thank you all for the advice :)

I'm too lazy to take all the plants and moss off, in order to scrub it properly, but it does look hideous lol. I think I will let it run its course and stop feeding the tank ferts for the time being. Hopefully, it will run out of nutrients to feed off. Fingers crossed! :D

Thank you all for the advice :)

I'm too lazy to take all the plants and moss off, in order to scrub it properly, but it does look hideous lol. I think I will let it run its course and stop feeding the tank ferts for the time being. Hopefully, it will run out of nutrients to feed off. Fingers crossed! :D

If I recall correctly, it feeds off of the wood, not necessarily the fertilizers. I continued to dose my tank with ferts while I had it and it eventually just died off anyways (y)

I've had this on my driftwood too, and it did go away after a few weeks, but some of my fish and inverts seemed to love chomping on it - my snail gorged on it and was full for about 5 days. He just sat there with his hamburger face not moving. Loved it! Haha

As long as it goes away eventually. Its disgusting too look at and seems to be growing more and more, everyday lol. It got to a point where my christmas moss, which is relatively long was submerged in this moldy stuff. :/

On a different note, I figured I would ask my next question here, rather than start a new thread.

I've always wanted to add dwarf hairgrass to both my tanks, and was wondering whether it would grow under a 15watt, 7500k fluorescent bulb? I don't have co2 either

Back
Top Bottom