who's eating my plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a 55g planted with some annubias and some crypt. The annubias is being consistantly eaten by something. The cypts are left alone.

Also i have some nice pieces of Java fern in there that are now just root systems.

Inhabitants:
5 clown loaches
5 zebra danios
1 altum angel
1 pleco
indetermanite number of MTS

-David

The clowns are capable, but I have them in mine with a lot of anubias. from what I've seen the only fishs in my tank that will eat anubias are Bala sharks (barbs I assume) if there is algae on the leaves, Ghost shrimp will also break off some small peices.

What kind of pleco? some can be pretty hard on leaves.

If the plants are being picked off in bits from the edges, then it is the other fish fish. If the plants look like all the green has been scraped off, the pleco is to blame. I have watched my swords, neon tetras, and even cory cats eat the leaves of my plants so any of them could do it.

An easy test : boil for 1 minute a leaf of lettuce or spinach to make it tender, and give it to your fish. Now watch 1) which fish eats it 2) which fish has greenish bowl movements.
... do you have snails ? ...

Back
Top Bottom