Why are all my plants green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All my plants (see signature) are growing very well and showing nice green leaves -- but the question is why are all of them green -- I believe some of these plants give out red leaves? What determines the color ? light or CO2? I have DIY CO2 which is working great (in other words the plants are thriving and if it means I need to add more CO2 bottles to make them look red I don't want them to look red :))

I dose as follows :
M-W-F
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements --> half of 1/8th

TU-TH-Sunday
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 --> I use slightly more than 1/2
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week --> I use half of 1/8th
+/- 1/8 tsp K2S04 3x a week - > I use slightly more than 1/8th

Saturday
Excel

SUNDAY
50% weekly water change (dosing is done AFTER the water change)

TIA
Swanand

There are three main things that can bring out reds in plants. Increasing light, limiting Nitrates, and increasing Iron. It varies from plant to plant as to which of these will actually bring out the reds.

In my experience the Rotala rotundifolia 'colorata' will color up beautifully with increased lighting. This generally means that the lower stems were mostly green in my tanks, but once the near the top they start turning brilliant shades of red, pink, and orange.

The top three will definately get red in there just let them grow to the top of the tank and they'll get red. Trim off the tops and replant. I haven't had any Ludwigia Arcuata but if you'd like to send me some I'll let you know in a month or so.

The sunset hygro seems the easiest for me to get red in my 55 with 2x55 ahsupply light kit.

And some plants, like the repens, can get real nice reds in lower lighting as well. I had it in my 29G with 130W over it, and could not get any red at all. Same in my 75G. But now with my light cut down due to no CO2, and don't have half the light I usually have, I'm getting some nice reds.

So what is wrong with my setup , anything that needs to be added/removed dosing wise or otherwise ?

The hygro seems to turn a little pink at the top now so also LUDWIGIA ARCUATA but none of the others. -- also the redness is not very noticeable on these plants either. Interestingly both these plants are on one side of the tank and the others are on the other side of the tank -- not sure if it is related?

I can think of 2 possible causes

1) Light too high, try lower the wpg.

2) Type of light used. I read somewhere that blue (actinic) works better for red plants. But unable to verify this. Something to do with green plants absorbing more red lights and red plants absorbing more on the other wavelengths or something? Generally white lights gives off light in the full spectrum but lower in certain wavelengths.

My Rotala rotundifoli got pink leaves when the leaves reach the top. But, my Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia'' (Red Temple - I think) have very colorful beautiful red leaves even under the bottom of the tank. I put them in the middle of the tank. I also have a Echinodorus x barthii (Red Melon Sword) which gives purple to dark brown color. I have 2wpg light.

That is what I thought should have happened -- all my plants have reached the top of the tank and still no sign of any redness :( -- still not sure what I am doing wrong?

Back
Top Bottom