why are my plants getting brownish spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sldp999

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi everyone,
question:
i have a 20 gallon tank, running pressurized CO2 at 1 bubble per second, have master grow for fertz and 96 watts of good light. so why is my plants getting brownish spots on the tips and some on leaves?
OHH AND EVERYDAY ITS SEEMS TO GET MORE BROWNISH ON EACH PLANT.
THANK YOU.

Wow, that's a lot of light on a 20g tank.

I suspect it's BBA algae. Typically caused by an imbalance of fertilizers.

hi.
thanks
any solutions?
less master grow or more or add IRON supplement? or something LOL.
thank you.

Do you have pictures? What plants is the brown spots on? Is it sandy spots or hairy spots or the leaf turning brown? What ferts exactly do you dose with on what schedule?

Also what is your CO2 (or your pH and KH), Nitrate, and Phosphate levels?

The Tropica Master Grow that you have listed is only for Micro Nutrients, so I suspect that one or more of your Macro Nutrients have bottomed out due to the high level of Light, CO2, and no Macro Nutrient dosing.

hi
thanks.
as you can see in the pictures most of the brownish stuff is on the tip of the plants.
so if tropica master grow is just MIRCO nutritents. what else should i use?
thank everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_4767.jpg
    IMG_4767.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4770.jpg
    IMG_4770.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4771.jpg
    IMG_4771.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 75
the picture make the browns look like nothing but true is the browns are much more.

Definately appears to be Marcro deficiencies. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the US then your best bet would be to order dry ferts from Rex Grigg or Planted Aquarium Fertilizer. Rex's Combo Pack has everything you would need plus CSM+B which is an alternative to the Tropica Master Grow (now called Tropica Plant Nutrition).

Sand/dust type brown spots that simply brush off the plants are a sign of a diatom outbreak. Nothing harmful.

Yup, yup. I currently have that in my tank. It basically looks like sand settled on your plants and substrate and you probably have some on the glass. Diatoms will go away on their own and they're typically only a problem for new tanks so not much chance you'll ever see it again.

And if you are really impatient in dealing with diatoms (brown "algae"), then pick up a few Oto catfish. Otos love the stuff. Assuming you are seeing only light amounts of it, then 1 oto per 20 gallons should do the trick. If you have lots of it all over, then maybe 2-3 otos per 20 gallons would be better.

Looks like part of the leaves are dying to me....not so much like algae.

I do think its from a nutrient deficiency though, since you aren't dosing macro nutrients. Another seller of dry ferts is Greenleafaquariums.com.

Do you have a drop checker? Just wondering if your co2 is adequate or not. That could be another reason for the browning, since you have a ton of light. :)

thanks everyone,
its seems like its diatoms(brown aglae) since my tank is NEW.
i dont like seeing them and they are ugly. and it appears NOW that its only on one species of plant. so i might just get rid of that plant. cause it seems like its not going away from that species of plant.
thank you for your support.

Back
Top Bottom