Why are my plants like this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yuval5520

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Look at the images... idk whats happening to my plants.... my first planted..
Its a week old tank... everything else is thriving other the these two leaves.
After my cycle is complete im gonna remove my pests snails (Bladder snails) cause its a source of ammonia...
Lets get to the point.. in this plants i got new leaves and all but its just furstrating its like that... any idea?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-27 at 13.44.45.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-27 at 13.44.45.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 24
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-05-27 at 13.44.43.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-27 at 13.44.43.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 22
Commercially grown plants are cultivated “emersed” rather than “submerged”. This way the plants can easily get their carbon requirement from atmospheric CO2. They can be grown quicker which makes the operation much more commercially viable. You take that plant, put it in your aquarium, cut off its source of CO2 and the plant goes into survival mode. It starts to use up its stored carbon and the leafs melt. You may lose all your original growth to melt but new leafs will have a structure more suited to its new environment and get its carbon from the water. Plant melt is a normal stage in aquarium plant growth. To judge the health of a plant look for new growth rather than what might be happening to the original growth, and judge it over extended periods of time.

Commercially grown plants are cultivated “emersed” rather than “submerged”. This way the plants can easily get their carbon requirement from atmospheric CO2. They can be grown quicker which makes the operation much more commercially viable. You take that plant, put it in your aquarium, cut off its source of CO2 and the plant goes into survival mode. It starts to use up its stored carbon and the leafs melt. You may lose all your original growth to melt but new leafs will have a structure more suited to its new environment and get its carbon from the water. Plant melt is a normal stage in aquarium plant growth. To judge the health of a plant look for new growth rather than what might be happening to the original growth, and judge it over extended periods of time.
So should i remove these plants?

No. They are probably just going through a transition stage from emersed growth to submerged growth and this can take several weeks. Remove any dead or dying growth so the plant can concentrate its resources on new growth.

If/ when you get new growth, if its not looking healthy, it could then be down to nutrient deficiencies, too much/ too little lighting, etc. But we need to get to new growth stage first.

The smaller leaves are presumably newer growth and they look healthy. Just leave things be for a while and see how things develop.

The snails might also be eating your plants.

Back
Top Bottom