Why is my mopani wood disintegrating right after buying from Petco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eascusa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Iam quite confused by the way the wood in my aquarium is almost desinigrating. Leaving what looks like soot, except its from the wood, all over everything in my tank. My plants look like crap with all this wood dirt looking stuff all over sitting on top of their leaves. It's not tannins because I have that too. My tank is slightly tea colored. Plus tannins aren't desinigrated wood in the water. I have two pieces of wood that are two different kinds and they are both doing it. I have had them in my tank now for about a year now and nothing has changed. It was like this from the beginning. I bought them both from Petco. One is Mopani wood but I can't remember the other wood pieces name. However, it was meant for water too the same as the other and bought in the same spot. I read and hear about everyone's awesome planted tanks and that is what I wanted. How come no one else seems to have these problems. I can deal with the colored water but the stuff coming off the wood, the Mopani mainly, is getting worse. It looks awful. Oh, and yes, I boiled them twice when I got them and let them soak in water for 2 days before I put them in my tank. I've already taken them out once and scrubbed them after being in water for 6 months. Alot of soft wood came off the top layer which is what is coming off in my water. But it doesn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? And if this stuff is all in my water so much, although I don't see it floating around in the water or anything, is it safe for my fish to have this going in their gills and stuff. They don't seem bothered. In fact my fish seem healthier after getting the wood. I have two angel fish, 6 glowlight tetras, 1 guppy, and 3 corydoras. And 4 nerite snails.

Take the Mopani out and buy some Azalea or Redmoor instead.

Sometimes it’s best just to remove the problem and put it down to an incompatibility for some unknown reason.

Back
Top Bottom