Wild & Crazy CO2 experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frog girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
1st I know this is in the wrong forum but the pond folks seem a bit stymied by this question so I need some advice from folks who do CO2 injection.

Since I have high pH (8.0) and algae problems in the summer I was wondering if adding some CO2 to a deep cooler part of the pond might help the macrophytes compete better for the nutrients. I have a big pond but would try the experiment in a sort of hot tub shaped & sized area designed for cooling off in (attached to the rest of the pond by a shallow area). I grow lots of lilies inthe middle as well as anacharis & hornwort to help absorb nutrients.

Roger McAllen said he thought it would be a waste of time but I wanted some other feedback. It would basically be a giant DIY CO2 (small barrel sized) with a large reactor to trap the gas against the water under about 2.5 ft. of water & a pump to run the water under the gas.

I know no one has done this but what do you think of it as a theoretical experiment.

Waste of time or worth a try.

Have you tried an veggie filter? A veggie filter would accomplish two things.

1) It serves as an export mechanism for nutrients. Meaning that as the plants grow in the filter they are harvested and removed and in doing so you are actually exporting the nutrient overload.

2) By using floating plants and plants that are grown immersed (leaves grown aerial) in the veggie filter you eliminate the need for extra CO2. The best you can probably hope for your underwater plants may be to get 6-10 ppm of CO2...but, above the water surface CO2 levels are 300-400 ppm.

I would think that in the same space as you are planning for the CO2 fermenter you could create and plumb in a nice sized veggie filter...you will need a water pump to get the pond water to the filter, you can use gravity to return the water from the filter to the pond.

Personally, I think the "experiment" would be both fun and educational and while maybe not producing the better results is nonetheless a worthy endeavor. The only experiments I'm against doing are those that endanger our pets and your proposed experiment doesn't put your pets at risk.

If you are interested in the veggie filter idea I can supply more information.

I think the experiment is worth trying, but only if you go pressurized CO2. Its hard enough to get decent CO2 levels with DIY on anything larger than 55gallons, and I'm sure even this section of the pond area exceeds 55gallons (my parents hot tub is about 295gallons).

If you really wanted to try DIY, you'd have better luck with multiple small DIY chambers rather than one large jug. I'd start with at least 5 one gallon jugs but you'll likely need 2, 3, maybe 4 times that amount to really make a dent.

Most plants that will grow up out of the water (like the lilies maybe?) will be using atmospheric CO2 rather than whats in the water, FYI.

Well not a resounding yes but I might try it if I have the time this summer. I am trying to up the amount of sumberged plants this year like vals, anacharis, & hornwort & thought the CO2 would give them a boost as well as lower my pH a bit. Apparently in ponds lower pH is associated with less algae. I am also going to try adding just rain water & maybe even doing a partial water change with the rain water (if we have enough this spring). I am putting in a storage system.

Steve I am planning on putting in a veggie filter of sorts. It will basically be a series of pools with fast growing nutrient hog plants (which I plan to compost) that steals a bit of water from my waterfall & eventually runs through one of my bog gardens (full of minature cattails). But I would love to see your design to see how it compares and if I can upgrade my design is some way.

Malkore,

I know you keep telling me that in a 55 gallon there is no way to get in enough CO2 with DIY but I seem to be getting plenty into mine with just one 2 liter bottle. Maybe it is because mine is a deep six sided (filled to about 60 gallons). Perhaps the smaller surface area works to my advantage. Thanks though I know I must be an anomally.

Any other comments from CO2 experienced folks would be most welcome. This is an experiment so any ideas for improvement would help.

Frog girl, I did not even try to answer your co2 question in the pond forum, sorry about that.
...that steals a bit of water from my waterfall...

So, it's established that you have a waterfall in your pond system, any other fountains or sources of surface agitation?

The waterfall and all sources of surface agitation (including wind and rain) will (theoretically) quickly cause the co2 to outgas from the water. It also sounds like a fairly large amount of equipment to have near/in your pond, thus requiring a way to hide/camoflouge it all. Sounds to me like a big pain, for little to no gain (again, in theory).
Therefore, I think your efforts to use co2 to lower your ph would largely be a waste of time, money, and effort, regardless of whether you used diy or pressurized. (Remember, just my opinion, I could be wrong :p)
I know no one has done this but what do you think of it as a theoretical experiment.
As a theoretical experiment, I think it's very interesting. If you choose to do it, I'd love to see pics, along with info on how much it cost to set up and maintain. I'd also be quite interested in your results and findings in regards to how much of a ph drop you get, and perceived effects on algae, plants, and fish.

OT, in your sig line "from" is misspelled "form" (Sorry, but it's a great quote and the spelling has been bugging me. :oops: )

Thanks corvus,

I know the surface agitation from my water fall will drive out CO2 but that part of the pond is sort of seperate form the hottub sized area I would be trying it in. The camo shouldn't be to hard the way our pond is designed (also it probably wouldn't be permanent unless I get an amazing response).

If I do it it will be the cheap route so lots of yeast & flour or sugar but I will be sure to calculate the volume of the area & keep up with water tests to see if I have any effect. I will also take pics so you can all have a good laugh.

The thing I was afraid of is that it would equilabrate too fast with the atmosphere (outgas) but I might still try it if I have the time this summer.

Thanks for the head up on my sig line I will go change it now. Everyone else has there tank stats (well you don't) & I was thinking of changing it but I think I will keep it now :D .

Ummmm . . . :oops:

I know I have to go to my profile to do this but will someone remind me how to do that. Please.

:oops: :oops:

frog girl said:
Ummmm . . . :oops:

I know I have to go to my profile to do this but will someone remind me how to do that. Please.

:oops: :oops:

To edit your profile you can click Home at the top and once you are there, you will see Welcome (user name) and below that about 4 links down will be a link to edit your profile...

The following link should also work for you...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profile.php?mode=editprofile

Shawn

Thanks Shawn I finally thought of going to the home page because I couldn't find it anywhere else. I appreciate your help.

We soloved basically all our algae probs with lots and I mean lots of cover over the deep water portion. Just cheap water lettuce and stuff, and there was lots for the compost pile. It spreads like crazy. It made a huge diffrence in the overall temp, even on the hottest days. Time to start reading another forum, and think about filling my pond for the year again :lol:

Back
Top Bottom