Wild Aquatic Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGuppyGirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had a burning question for a some time and it's been hard to research. I literally live 0.1 miles away from a river and I'd like to know if I could put wild aquatic plants in my tank. I don't think it would harm my fish and if I would watch in an unoccupied tank for a while and see how it does I could eventually put it in. Is this a bad idea?

Two things to consider.

1) You should always disinfect collected samples that you put in your tank, including DW, plants, etc. I usually use a hydrogen peroxide bath for this.

2) Many of the plants you might find locally aren't aquatic plants, and may only be submersed part of the year. You will probably need to at least be able to identify the aquatics and semi-aquatics/submersed terrestrials.

I have tried a couple different plants from local lakes I thought would look neat. One never took, and this one ( the anacharis looking plants ) is growing slowly. I'm going on the theory that a lot of our local river and lakes are a much cooler temp than our tanks, and that is part of the problem I've experienced. And now I have a big ole Lilly leaf growing right over them and that won't help.

Attachments

• image-3486146959.jpg
    image-3486146959.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 170
  • image-3238682607.jpg
    image-3238682607.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 176
The plant I'm looking at looks like hairgrass, but a little thicker and not as short. How many parts hydrogen peroxide to water?

Super_Blueberry said:
I have tried a couple different plants from local lakes I thought would look neat. One never took, and this one ( the anacharis looking plants ) is growing slowly. I'm going on the theory that a lot of our local river and lakes are a much cooler temp than our tanks, and that is part of the problem I've experienced. And now I have a big ole Lilly leaf growing right over them and that won't help.

That's one beautiful lily!!"

boadams87 said:
That's one beautiful lily!!"

Thanks. I have a gut feeling this monster is going to have to find a new home though. Definitely research before planting. Lesson learned.

Attachments

• image-3274113557.jpg
    image-3274113557.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 97
boadams87 said:
I've got 2 dwarf lily's but id rather have one of those.

It's one of those Walmart bulbs you can buy for $4 or so. The first two didn't grow, but the next two did. The one in my 55g is still nice and tiny, but that will probably change.

Super_Blueberry said:
It's one of those Walmart bulbs you can buy for $4 or so. The first two didn't grow, but the next two did. The one in my 55g is still nice and tiny, but that will probably change.

Cool. I've been wandering about those.

Back
Top Bottom