Wild plants in planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found these plants in a local stream today, I know one is a type of moss and the other is possibly a crypt? Does anyone know what type of moss and plant these are?

The plant I think might be a crypt wendtii because it has those rippled leaves and was in a huge mass, it was difficult to pull up a piece with roots because there were so many runners anchoring it down. Not sure if that helps.

image-1547878128.jpg

image-2984118016.jpg

Also what method should I use to prepare them to put in my tank? I've heard a peroxide dip? What proportion with water should that be?

Sorry one more thing.. Also I saw this really cool floating plant, looks similar to duckweed but really small, flower-shaped cups

image-1221479226.jpg

Anyone know what this is?:)

Thanks for all your help in advance, it is much appreciated.

I was looking at doing this myself but then realized there aren't any neat plants that grow up here in michigan :) I would probably do a potassium permegranate or bleach dip on these to kill any potential unwanted hitch hikers.

The plant I pic #2 has crypt like leaves, however, the leaves originate from a common stem rather than a single crown. I'd say No to the crypt wendtii but an interesting find no doubt.

Crypts aren't native to the US, so barring some weight reintroduction plot in your area..... unlikely.

I think it's Potamogeton crispus. Be warned that it's on some states' noxious weed list.

Your floating cups might be Salvinia auriculata, or some other salvinia species.

Crypts aren't native to the US, so barring some weight reintroduction plot in your area..... unlikely.

I think it's Potamogeton crispus. Be warned that it's on some states' noxious weed list.

Your floating cups might be Salvinia auriculata, or some other salvinia species.

Yes, it does look like potamogeton now that I googled it.. Is it ok to put in my tank if it is a noxious weed? I have it just sitting in a bowl in my windowsill and it's pearling like crazy!

Hmm I can't seem to find any salvinia species that look quite like what I found.

Back
Top Bottom