Will fresh water plants bloom flowers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mansiz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Will fresh water plants produce flowers? I swwitch on the lights around 8 to 10 hrs a day. Or fresh water plants won't produce any flowers?

Some, such as anacharis and the lillies (Nymphea spp) will. But, I've heard that this is quite rare. What is your bulb Kelvin? I've just bought a 18.000 Kelvin bulb, which I think encourages plant growth. Do you have a special bulb, or a standard one?

Hehe. Actually. I feel little guilty about this. But the woman at Petco forgot to charge me for the bulb when she rang my items up. I didn't realize 'til I looked at the bill on the busride home. Thank you Petco for my free bulb!

I think mine is just a normal light tube purple in colour, but i realise that those plants are bending towards the light source ( right below the light tube ).

I am pretty sure that in order to flower the plant has to be able to grow out of the water. Everytime I have ever seen flowering aquarium plants the flower is out of the water. So you really need an open tank with suspended lights to get this to happen.

My apongenetens and sword plants bloom, but it is above water, and the flowers are really nothing special. Also, they usually shoot up out of the water so fast and far that they get too close to my lights, and get burnt up. I think one of my crypts has bloomed also, same scenario.

I have had Crypts bloom under water. Most aquatic plants however bloom out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom