Will I need Co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullnugget

Aquarium Advice Activist
For my 55, I am in the process of switching everything. I am going to use sand, be putting in pieces of slate built up with caves in it, and some larger pieces of driftwood. I just bought a power compact light, and will be switching the bulbs with a 6700k and a pinkish red set(not really sure what they are called). I was thinking of putting some moss on the slate stack along with some other easy hardy plants that will be planted in the sand. Not sure of which ones yet, but I want to know if I will need a Co2 system. I am reading on here that strong lights with no C02 makes for a algae disaster...

CO2 Question

For my 55, I am in the process of switching everything. I am going to use sand, be putting in pieces of slate built up with caves in it, and some larger pieces of driftwood. I just bought a power compact light, and will be switching the bulbs with a 6700k and a pinkish red set(not really sure what they are called). I was thinking of putting some moss on the slate stack along with some other easy hardy plants that will be planted in the sand. Not sure of which ones yet, but I want to know if I will need a Co2 system. I am reading on here that strong lights with no C02 makes for a algae disaster...

Hello Bull...

If you keep plants that require no more than low to moderate lighting, you don't need CO2. CO2 can be pricey and difficult to set up and maintain. Most of the plants you get at the pet stores will do fine with a couple of T5 lamps. One can be 10,000K, the other in the 6500 to 6700K range. This gives the plants a variety of spectrum light.

I keep plants like Pennywort, Brazilian water weed, Java fern, Singapore moss, Cryptocoryne and varieties of Anubias. All do well with moderate light and don't require commercial fertilizers. The ferts the fish produce and large, weekly water changes is enough for these plants. Just feed the fish a balanced diet.

If you change out a lot of water regularly and don't feed too much, algae won't be a problem. A little is good for the tank and the fishes' diet too.

B

If there are not T5HO, then you most likely won't need CO2. If they are, then you could certainly benefit from CO2/Excel, but it may or may not be required based on the quality of your fixture (probably not). In the end, your results may dictate what you'll need.

Back
Top Bottom